Community
Notices

KJ/Kcal to Cal

Old 07-31-2013, 09:40 PM
FitDay Member

Default KJ/Kcal to Cal

hey, this is my first time trying to lose weight so i have alot to learn. I am from Norway and here all the food labels have KJ and Kcal on them.

and so far as i know fitday only deal with cal, so i was wondering if somebody knew if i should focus on kj or kcal. i have already found couple of online calculators but they dont make any sense to me. for instance, Cal and cal are different.

One cracker bread piece is 260 KJ (60Kcal), how many cal would you say that piece is?

English isnt my first language so i hope you understand what i meant
Old 08-02-2013, 09:39 AM
FitDay Member

Less then 1 medium apple = 71.8 cal ;-)

One cracker bread piece = 62 cal.

I would take 2 eggs, white only, cooked [34 cal, 7.2 gr proteins], instead of this one empty cracker ;-), or 200 gr cauliflower = 88 cal with very low glycemic index that have little to no impact on blood sugar levels.

---------------------------

Age 48, Height 5' 3"
Start date: April 22, 2013

Start weight: 150 lbs/68 kg
Current weight: 121.2 lbs/55 kg
Goal - build muscle & lower body fat
Old 12-02-2013, 04:11 PM
FitDay Member

This is the formula you need: 1 Calorie [nutritional] = 4.186 8 kilojoules

I am from NZ and nutritional labels here are all in kilojoules too. I usually just round it up and divide the number in kilojoules by 4.19 to get the amount in calories. Hope that helps.

Funnily enough, even though are food are labelled in kilojoules I actually think in calories.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:18 AM
FitDay Member

Maintain your diet as much as you can and that will help you for sure,Eat the right food and stuff that you need.Keep yourself physically active eat the correct food walk and go for cycling.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

I think that Kcal is what fitday uses to report energy values. So you use that - it is 'calories.' But when you use the food log here, and search for a food to log (track) it, the calories are counted for you. It's when you enter a custom food that you would report Kcal (calories).