Notices

Your opinion on sugar...

Old 07-31-2012, 12:43 PM
FitDay Member

Default Your opinion on sugar...

What is your opinion on refined sugar? I already consider soft drinks, regular and diet, dead to me... should I totally cut out other sources -- including Domino bags? Behlor
Old 08-03-2012, 06:08 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by behlorsantifit2012
What is your opinion on refined sugar? I already consider soft drinks, regular and diet, dead to me... should I totally cut out other sources -- including Domino bags? Behlor
To me, a little refined sugar is fine. But it can be a trigger for over indulgence for many people. As you know carbohydrates are essential, and refined sugar can provide a nice energy boost - when used in moderation.

I don't know if you are old enough to remember but back in the 80's one of the cookie companies was advertising that a little cookie snack before a meal can help with portion control. Lots of people slammed the idea, but I gotta tell you as long as 1 cookie doesn't lead to a dozen cookies, it actually works.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:52 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, Pam,

I found out that cutting that sweet taste is a bit too restrictive... so I now drink diet soda, a little too much for the health purists... but it cuts my desire for the real thing... I'm already down to 229 from 232, so I must be something right.. I also eat Fage Total Greek yogurt, the full-fat kind... it's incredibly yummy, and it also cuts my cravings for sugar... Behlor
Old 08-04-2012, 05:24 PM
FitDay Premium Member

I allow myself 1 teaspoon of sugar as part of "real food." For example, if I have berries for dessert I will put a little sugar on them. It keeps me from feeling deprived at eating berries instead of ice cream! But it has to be part of a meal that includes adequate protein and vegetables, so it doesn't trigger cravings.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:31 AM
FitDay Member

I can't eat it, it makes my fibro flare up. Refined sugar anyway. I can eat fruit or sweet vegetables: carrots, yams, etc. I love sweets so I try for sugar free treats, when possible: I've been drinking soda made with Stevia. Or if I eat sugar, I try to limit it. And if I could do it over, I would never have allowed my kid to have it. She, like many teenagers, is a sugar addict. Marilou Henner calls sugar "kiddie cocaine" and it is true. My daughter has been overweight for years and mostly it's due to sugar.

I also have to say that when you stop eating sugar, after a while, you stop wanting it as much. Most things that tempt other people don't tempt me. And it's funny how people push it on you and push it on kids. My writing group could not believe that I could "resist" the chocolate goodies they brought in. And it seemed like everywhere my daughter went, they offered her sugar, at the fish store, lollipops; even school (as a reward.) I wrote about it. I called it "gratituous sugar." And we wonder why so many of us struggle with our weight and why kids are developing Type 2 diabetes.

Sorry for the rant.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:47 AM
FitDay Member

[QUOTE=RunbikeSki;86794]To me, a little refined sugar is fine. But it can be a trigger for over indulgence for many people. As you know carbohydrates are essential, and refined sugar can provide a nice energy boost - when used in moderation.

Could you expand on this? I have been unable to find info that carbs are essential as protien or fats are.

I eat both refined and complex carbs. Neither of which have been a issue with fat loss. I do find that the more I have the more I want and this could be an issue with others also but does not mean there needs to be an elimination of refined sugars. I would suggest to start small and find your limit.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by behlorsantifit2012
As with anything, moderation is important. If you can stop yourself after eating two or three cookies once in a while, you are in good shape.
Robb
Old 08-08-2012, 01:46 AM
FitDay Premium Member

[quote=1dwing;86961]
Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
To me, a little refined sugar is fine. But it can be a trigger for over indulgence for many people. As you know carbohydrates are essential, and refined sugar can provide a nice energy boost - when used in moderation.

Could you expand on this? I have been unable to find info that carbs are essential as protien or fats are.

I eat both refined and complex carbs. Neither of which have been a issue with fat loss. I do find that the more I have the more I want and this could be an issue with others also but does not mean there needs to be an elimination of refined sugars. I would suggest to start small and find your limit.

Hi 1dwing,
I need to amend this statement. As your research points out, carbohydrates, in and of themselves, aren't essential, but carb-rich foods like fruits and veggies contain the vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants that are. While you can replace many of these with supplements (IMHO) nothing beats eating the whole foods.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:18 AM
FitDay Member

What do people think about the new sugar substitutes like Stevia?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:32 AM

i love stevia. i have baked with it (i replace half the regular sugar with it) and i have it in my oatmeal every morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.