Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Nutrition & labeling
Your opinion on sugar... >

Your opinion on sugar...

Community
Notices

Your opinion on sugar...

Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 AM
FitDay Member

I use stevia all the time from protein/coffee shakes to cookies. I have found some after taste but once bakes it tends to be less so. I use it alot when I make peanut butter cookies though I still use about 1 tbsp of sugar in the recipe.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:28 AM

[QUOTE=1dwing;86961]
Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
To me, a little refined sugar is fine. But it can be a trigger for over indulgence for many people. As you know carbohydrates are essential, and refined sugar can provide a nice energy boost - when used in moderation.

Could you expand on this? I have been unable to find info that carbs are essential as protien or fats are.

I eat both refined and complex carbs. Neither of which have been a issue with fat loss. I do find that the more I have the more I want and this could be an issue with others also but does not mean there needs to be an elimination of refined sugars. I would suggest to start small and find your limit.
1dwing, in response to your question about info on why carbs are essential, here is an article i found, and i know there are others because i've read them, but i had this one bookmarked. It is here if you'd like to read the whole thing, but i just copied a portion of it to post here.

WHY DO WE NEED CARBOHYDRATES TO SURVIVE?
Carbohydrates are the macronutrient that we need in the largest amounts. According to the Dietary Reference Intakes published by the USDA, 45% - 65% of calories should come from carbohydrate. We need this amount of carbohydrate because:

Carbohydrates are the body’s main source of fuel.
Carbohydrates are easily used by the body for energy.
All of the tissues and cells in our body can use glucose for energy.
Carbohydrates are needed for the central nervous system, the kidneys, the brain, the muscles (including the heart) to function properly.
Carbohydrates can be stored in the muscles and liver and later used for energy.
Carbohydrates are important in intestinal health and waste elimination.
Carbohydrates are mainly found in starchy foods (like grain and potatoes), fruits, milk, and yogurt. Other foods like vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds and cottage cheese contain carbohydrates, but in lesser amounts.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:03 PM
FitDay Member

Eating too much simple sugar can lead to high blood pressure and diabetes. It is difficult to resist sweets but sugar can be substituted by other natural sweeteners like raw honey, maple syrup, agave and Stevia.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:06 AM
FitDay Member

Is splenda and all those other sugar's really better for you then regular sugar? I have heard that all splenda and the other sugar's do is make one grave sugar more. In the long run end up using just as much if not more of the "diet" sugar then if they would have only used half of real sugar. Has anyone els heard anything like this?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 AM
FitDay Premium Member

In my opinion, it is all about quantity and portion size. A cup of coffee a day with a non-sugar sweetener isn't going to cause you much harm (as long as you don't have an allergy). But using a non-sugar sweetener in place of regular sugar when you have a huge sugar habit isn't going to be good for you, nor is it going to solve the fundamental problem of an overly active sweet tooth.

So if you are inclined to put 3 teaspoons of sugar in your coffee, drink 5 sodas a day, and can't resist desert after lunch and dinner, simply replacing sugar with any of the artificial sweeteners isn't going to do your health any good - for many reasons including prolonging the sweets habit.

It is really hard to break the sugar habit - but it can be done. And once you do, you will have crossed a hugely important milestone.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:07 AM
FitDay Member

I saw it on a bumper sticker; "Sugar is a gateway drug." And I believe it. If I had it to do over again, I would NEVER give it to my daughter. She's a total junkie.