What does Oz, dry yield after cooking under Unit drop down list mean

Community
Notices

What does Oz, dry yield after cooking under Unit drop down list mean

Old 02-13-2012, 11:05 AM
FitDay Member

Default What does Oz, dry yield after cooking under Unit drop down list mean

Hi

Wondering if you can help. I am just entering in chickpeas and am not sure which option to tick

I bought the seeds, soaked for 12 hrs, brought to boil, removed water etc etc and then let cool. No salt or anything was added in the process. I ate about 4 Oz ( weighed them after cooking) of them with a salad.

I selected Chickpeas, dry,cooked, no fat added in cooking
If I select 4Oz , I get the following - 204kcal, 3.4g fat, 34g carbs and 10.8 protein

If I change the Units to Oz, dry yield after cooking, it changes dramatically..

432kcal, 7.2g fat, 72g carbs, 22.9 protein
What is the difference and which one should I choose.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2012, 03:23 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by masmccar76
Hi

Wondering if you can help. I am just entering in chickpeas and am not sure which option to tick

I bought the seeds, soaked for 12 hrs, brought to boil, removed water etc etc and then let cool. No salt or anything was added in the process. I ate about 4 Oz ( weighed them after cooking) of them with a salad.

I selected Chickpeas, dry,cooked, no fat added in cooking
If I select 4Oz , I get the following - 204kcal, 3.4g fat, 34g carbs and 10.8 protein

If I change the Units to Oz, dry yield after cooking, it changes dramatically..

432kcal, 7.2g fat, 72g carbs, 22.9 protein
What is the difference and which one should I choose.

Thanks
Whenever you see dry yeild after cooking it means you are measuring before you cook, as you measured after they were cooked you get the lower caloric value.
Measuring 4 ounces dry gives you 2-3 times the volume after the water is absorbed.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:12 AM
FitDay Member

Exclamation What about meat and poultry?

If, for instance, I select 4oz raw and receive a calorie amount and then select 4oz raw (yield after cooking) and receive a lower calorie amount, is the logic then that the ounces selected is what I started with? As though 4oz raw yield after cooking means I started with 4oz of raw product and it cooked down to a smaller weight (let's say 3oz for the example) and this is the new calorie calculation? I guess I'm curious as to if the weight entered is always the starting weight when refering to raw.

Can anyone confirm? Thank you so much. It's amazing how little information is available on this.