Notices

Stevia safety

Old 03-16-2010, 02:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default Stevia safety

The bloating reported by some users of stevia is caused by the fillers that some suppliers use in their stevia products such as F.O.S. ( Fructo-Oligo-Sacharide).. or erythritol ( a sugar alchool). The safe use of stevia is to choose only the pure stevia , with no fillers.. Read the ingredients on the label and you will find out that besides stevia they are using fillers and other so called natural flavors...
Old 03-19-2010, 05:49 AM
FitDay Member

Truvia is simply amazing... sweet smooth taste, no after taste, available at Wal Mart, and it even smells good! I have never experienced bloat, gastric discomfort, or constipation regarding its use - although I never have more than 6 packs a day, so I would label it as moderate usage. Give it a try!! I tried pure Stevia powder, and it was like sucking on a sour atomic warhead!
Old 03-19-2010, 06:15 AM
FitDay Member

FOS is naturally sweet and it feeds the good bacteria in your digestive tract and is used in anti-candida protocols along with probiotics (FOS feeds the good guys). One of the symptoms of candida die off is bloating - it could be that ppl have an overgrowth of candida and taking the FOS is causing a die-off as their bodies move into balance. Try taking probiotics (acidophiles, etc) and see if the bloating goes away in a week or 2.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:16 AM
FitDay Member

It's important to be careful with Stevia...especially if you're allergic to ragweed. I found this out the hard way a couple weeks ago. I'd never encountered the product before and gave it a try to sweeten some hot tea w/o knowing what it was. I used "natural liquid stevia." Shortly after using it, my face bloated up like a balloon, I was covered in hives, and my airway was shutting down. Scary stuff. I had to take 4 Benadryl to keep myself out of the ER. Personally, I think they should put a warning label on it for people with ragweed allergies...it's pretty common.