Notices

Why do cooked vegetables have more fat?

Old 01-19-2012, 11:26 AM
FitDay Member

Default Why do cooked vegetables have more fat?

It seems odd to me that just by boiling or steaming raw vegetables the fat content can increase dramatically. For example, a cup of raw Cauliflower has .1 grams of fat. Cooked Cauliflower has 4.6 grams. That is 46 times more fat. How??
Old 01-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

They do not have more fat when cooked. However, when you use the Search button for a food in FitDay, it somehow defaults to preparation with fat. You would be better off using the Browse Foods tab. Go to Vegetable, select the appropriate category, and keep going through the choices until you get to "fat not added in cooking." It's definitely more of a pain, but at least it's accurate.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:05 PM
FitDay Member

That did the trick. Thanks so much for the help.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:48 AM
FitDay Member

Also be aware that fitday will also assume a lot of added salt in cooked veggies. Stumbled on this when I started looking at my Sodium and was wondering where it was coming from.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:45 PM
FitDay Member

One last reason why 1 cup of cooked Cauliflower is more calories and fat than 1 cup of raw Cauliflower - because when you cook it, you remove the water.

There is more Cauliflower (in every regard) in one cup cooked, than one cup raw. 1 cup raw, only amounts to about 1/2 cup cooked.

Cooking vegetables (to a large degree) is a process of removing the water!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:04 AM
FitDay Member

You can edit any fitday food (in beta anyway not sure classic) and it will become a custom food I have done this with all the veggies to remove the salt they think I add that I do not, also with chicken they assume you have added allot of salt so you could do the same for fats also.