FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Nutrition & labeling (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/nutrition-labeling/)
-   -   Interesting article on food choice (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/nutrition-labeling/4811-interesting-article-food-choice.html)

boolz 07-24-2011 10:48 AM

Interesting article on food choice

Harvard study

Short version: it's not just about the calories. The nut and yogurt info is especially interesting.

nottango 07-24-2011 01:58 PM

Really interesting! Thanks for posting. Glad I love yogurt and peanut butter!

wildbeanerz 07-25-2011 01:36 AM

Whew! I thought you were gonna tell me that my yogurt is making it harder to lose weight. :) Very interesting read.

DancinBear2 07-25-2011 02:08 AM

That was a very good read, it confirmed what I have learned by hanging out in the forums for the last 6 months. Thanks for sharing it.

Kohsamui 09-13-2011 01:49 AM

I'd love to see what the authors of this study think about the new "food pyramid"... I asked, will post a reply here if I get one...

vabeachgirlNYC 09-13-2011 03:47 AM

They don't like it. Neither do I.

Food Pyramids and Plates: What Should You Really Eat? - What Should You Eat? - The Nutrition Source - Harvard School of Public Health

cjohnson728 09-13-2011 04:06 AM

The one from Harvard is similar to the Mayo Clinic one that made so much sense when I found it last year. Great minds think alike, I guess.

taubele 09-13-2011 04:16 AM

Good solid read. It's funny how you start one way (slowly, just counting calories) and then slowly you start to add more of these good things to your diet that (hopefully) fuel the transition from "diet" into "lifestyle change."

wildbeanerz 09-13-2011 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by taubele (Post 56515)
Good solid read. It's funny how you start one way (slowly, just counting calories) and then slowly you start to add more of these good things to your diet that (hopefully) fuel the transition from "diet" into "lifestyle change."

So true! When I started I was always, " I don't like yogurt. " or " I can't drink fruit juice. It makes my belly sick. "
Now I love yogurt and have started into fresh fruit juices. I also eat things I never did before like the green pepper of stuffed peppers. It is really a lifestyle change not just a diet.

taubele 09-13-2011 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz (Post 56518)
So true! When I started I was always, " I don't like yogurt. " or " I can't drink fruit juice. It makes my belly sick. "
Now I love yogurt and have started into fresh fruit juices. I also eat things I never did before like the green pepper of stuffed peppers. It is really a lifestyle change not just a diet.

Haha! You remind me... I wanted to try stuffed peppers this weekend! Never have had them before.

I used to think I was lactose intolerant or at least had an aversion to dairy; one thing I found out through food logging is that it's completely untrue. I can chug a glass of low-fat milk and be just peachy, and I can eat ice cream and yogurt without a problem, as well as cheese. It's the fatty creamy stuff I can't eat - sauces made with dairy products - I suspect it's the oil in them! I never would have known if I hadn't just started paying attention to what went in the hole in my face, logging, writing it down! Amazing.