How to get enough fiber for a day? >

How to get enough fiber for a day?

Community
Notices

How to get enough fiber for a day?

Old 05-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

I have been doing something unusual lately: drinking my oat bran fiber. Weird, huh? I bought some oat bran fiber to add to fruit smoothies. Didn't do that - instead, I just put the fiber in a big jug of water in the refrigerator. When I need to drink something cold, I shake it up really well, pour some in a glass and drink it (no sweeteners, I just kind of like the taste!).

I have hit upon this 'oat water' instead of buying 'oat milk' which is much richer and tastier, available in the supermarket along with nut milks and soybean milk, etc. I pour this oaty water on cereal in the morning and never miss the dairy I used to use for cereal. I do like dairy and still eat yogurt, cheese and kefir. The oat water just moistens the cereal enough to make it wet and crunchy but without any distracting taste. The oat water has hardly any taste at all, but there is fiber there - I can see it in the sludge that accumulates at the bottom of the glass if I don't swirl the liquid or stir it when I'm drinking.

Happened upon this accidentally, don't know of anyone else who does it!
Old 05-22-2011, 03:13 PM
FitDay Member

try this for one day:
Breakfast to include at least a cup of fresh berries - rasberries are super stars in fiber.
Lunch to include a large (at least 5 cups greens) salad - spinach is great.
Dinner to include a couple of cups of some type of green vegetable - e.g. 2 cups broccoli.
AND at least 1/2 cup beans.
(Total of the above is 275 calories; fiber 25.8)
Old 07-08-2011, 11:14 PM
FitDay Member

As mentioned, Broccoli is a pretty great way to get fiber. 3 cups of broccoli a day will give you appx. 7 grams of fiber, 7 grams of protein, tons of vitamins and all for under 100 cals!!!
Old 07-09-2011, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

GG crackers. They are very sturdy, somewhat bland (not salty) crackers sold at Whole Foods, but cheaper on Amazon.com if you are in the U.S. and can use the Amazon grocery department. You can order them online from the website (the product is Norwegian and there's a U.S. distributor).

These things, with some tuna salad, or peanut butter, or spread with salsa and cream cheese (the rye taste of the cracker doesn't interfere): a small cracker has 12 calories and 5 grams of fiber. Amazing - not that they have so much bran (they are mainly bran) but that they are so mild in taste and are so sturdy.

They are extremely filling - be forewarned. They are expensive, but cheaper on Amazon, I think. I haven't ordered from other sources, so I don't know about that.

Lentils are my favorite source of fiber, and I add black beans to a pasta salad, just to pump up the fiber. I watch fiber in my food log and most days, I have around 40 grams! Protein is low in fiber so I try to get enough protein but not at the expense of fiber. The more vegetables and whole grains, the more likely you will be getting fiber in your diet. However, a salad is just not enough (lettuce is not high on the list of fibrous foods). A cup of shredded Romaine lettuce has 1 gram of fiber. But - it's very low in calories, too.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:18 PM
FitDay Member

I am a very picky eater, so I take Fiber Choice Sugar Free Strawberry chewables and then a bowl of Fiber Plus cereal a day. It works well it seems, or at least for me anyways.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:39 PM
FitDay Member

Default Bread and Tortillas

Hi,
A lot of bread and tortillas have added fiber these days - some tortillas have up to 12 grams of fiber per tortilla, and only about 100 - 140 calories. The "Dave's Killer Bread" brand of bread has up to 6 g of fiber per slice. It is very filling.

Oh, and Kashi cereal also has a lot of fiber - I think about 9 grams per serving, and it's really yummy.

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:23 AM
FitDay Member

Fiber One cereal here. It tastes like cardboard, but it's a huge boost. I slice half a banana into it, then eat the rest of the banana after the cereal is gone.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:17 PM
FitDay Member

I realize I'm posting this months after the last reply, but one of my "tricks" to adding fibre is chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans). They are high in fibre and protein, so they help me stay feeling full. (1 cup = 270 cal, 12 gr fibre (almost 50% of RDA!) and 15 gr protein).

I make a chickpea salad with a reduced fat Italian dressing (and add in some chopped cherry tomatoes, chopped steamed cauliflower, and avocado).

I also make my own hummus. Its really easy to do, and if you use some of the cooking water (or liquid from the can), then you can really cut back on the amount of oil you have to use. I will then use the hummus as a dip for carrots, celery & other veggies.

M.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:59 PM
FitDay Member

Good tip, meking703.

I'll have to give it a try.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:32 PM
FitDay Member

Some other ideas for high fiber foods that I didn't see above are edamame (I especially like it dry roasted with sea salt, found at most grocery stores, 5 g per serving), blackberries (7.6 g for 1 cup), and ground flax seed (4 g per serving, added to smoothies, yogurt, etc).

I just discovered a few hours ago that a Starbuck's Skinny Mocha has 5 grams in a venti... not sure where it's hiding, but it was a nice surprise when I entered it as a custom food after trying it for the first time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.