FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Nutrition & labeling (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/nutrition-labeling/)
-   -   Nutrition Facts offer (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/nutrition-labeling/2444-nutrition-facts-offer.html)

loriparker 11-21-2010 09:29 AM

Nutrition Facts offer

I love the grind-it-yourself organic dry roasted peanuts at Whole Foods. No added salt or oils, just pure dry roasted peanuts! A little goes a long way for me, especially when I mix a 3 to 1 ratio of ground peanuts to organic honey. Well, it's easy to track the honey but the penuts required me to create a Custom Food so I just did all the leg work. Now, I'm thinking others might appreciate the opportunity to benefit from the fruits of my labors. I got the information from the following three sites and cobbled it together:
American Peanut Council
Nutri-Facts: Nutrition Facts, Food Labels, Diet, Fitness, Exercise, Health, etc.
Potassium Essentials

Here's the facts:

Whole Foods Fresh Ground Peanuts

Amount Per Serving 2 TBLS=1oz

Calories 166.0
Calories from Fat 126.7

Fat 14.1 g 22 %
Saturated Fat 2.0 g 10 %
Polyunsaturated Fat 7.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 4.4 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg 0 %
Sodium 2.0 mg 0 %
Potassium 374.0 mg 11 %
Carbohydrate 6.1 g 2 %
Dietary Fiber 2.3 g 9 %
Protein 6.7 g 13 %
Alcohol 0.0 g

Vitamin A 0 %
Calcium 2 %
Vitamin D 0 %
Thiamin 8 %
Niacin 19 %
Vitamin B6 4 %
Phosphorus 10 %
Selenium 0 %
Vitamin C 0 %
Iron 4 %
Vitamin E 25 %
Riboflavin 2 %
Vitamin B12 0 %
Manganese 0 %
Copper 10 %
Magnesium 12 %
Zinc 6 %

Whew! That took a little doing but if it helps any of you out there, it was definately worth it!

- PEACE -

01gt4.6 11-21-2010 10:32 AM

thanks for posting this. I was just saying that I wanted to make my own peanut butter. What does the honey do to the taste?

tandoorichicken 11-21-2010 02:51 PM

THe honey probably adds a little sweetness (duh), which probably helps with the dryness that comes after shoving a bunch of peanut butter down your throat. I've had a couple occasions where I got natural peanut butter with only peanuts and salt in it and I had to down like a gallon of water afterwards to wash it all down.

loriparker 11-22-2010 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 26221)
thanks for posting this. I was just saying that I wanted to make my own peanut butter. What does the honey do to the taste?

Honey adds a touch of sweetness. At Girl Scout Camp, we used to call it Poh Butter in honor of Winnie the Poh who loved his honey:). Anyway, I find it much more palatable for sandwiches than just the ground peanuts by themselves.

Note, the ground peanuts are organic and dry roasted only. There are no additives - no salt, no oil and certainly no high fructose cornsyrup. I don't know about yours, but my palate is so messed up from decades of eating brand name peanutbutters that spreading plain ground peanuts on a piece of multi-grain bread or toast tasted a lot like I imagine drywall with a liberal spread of spackle would taste like. But add a bit of honey and viola! it's delightful all over again.

Glad this was helpful to you. I'll provide more custom food researches as time goes by.

- PEACE -

loriparker 11-22-2010 01:30 AM

By the way, my new favorite "I'm-dieing-here-I-gotta-have-something-sweet-treat is one apple, cut in slices and one third cup of "Poh Butter" to dip them in. It tastes a bit like carmeled apples! Try it and let me know what you think.

- PEACE -

vabeachgirlNYC 11-22-2010 10:38 AM

I love Whole foods! :)

If anyone is looking for a smooth low cal, high protein peanut butter you may want to try peanut flour (peanut butter flour). Just make sure it is the kind with Peanuts as the only ingredient.

Mix 1 part peanut flour with 1 part water. If you want it sweet you can add a sugar substitute. Or you can use honey, if you don't mind the extra cals and carbs.

NUTRITION FACTS - Defatted, Serving size 1oz.
Calories 92.70
Protein (g) 14.80
Fat Total (g) 0.16
Carbohydrate (g) 9.84
Fiber - Total (g) 4.48
Sugar - Total (g) 2.33
Calcium (mg) 39.69
Iron (mg) 0.60
Magnesium (mg) 104.89
Phosphorus (mg) 215.46
Potassium (mg) 365.71
Sodium (mg) 51.03