FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Nutrition & labeling (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/nutrition-labeling/)
-   -   Lacking Phosphorus/Magnesium hmm? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/nutrition-labeling/1819-lacking-phosphorus-magnesium-hmm.html)

tabbygyrl 08-22-2010 08:14 AM

Lacking Phosphorus/Magnesium hmm?

I started my diet a little over a month ago. Joined FitDay on the 13th. Since then I have been paying close attention to my RDI. I noticed I am always lacking enough Phosphorus and Magnesium. I already take Vitamin and Calcium Supplements daily. Are there certain foods that contain these? I dont want to end up taking MORE vitamins/mineral tablets a day.

Thanks!! =D

Will_Fox 09-09-2010 06:12 AM

Pumpkin seeds, almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews...basically, nuts and seeds. Raw and unsalted should be healthier than roasted and salted, and you'll also be able to much more accurately gauge "how much is enough" that way (when things have a lot of salt, at least in my experience, it's much easier to over-eat).

Both phosphorus and magnesium would be covered with the addition of nuts and seeds. Keeping them varied can help a lot with your taste buds too (only having almonds can get old after a while -- cashews can be great sometimes, or Brazil nuts, pumpkin seeds, pistachios, pine nuts, macadamias, so on and so on).

I generally do think that the raw nuts/seeds are healthier, but mixing some roasted and salted nuts/seeds in with some raw ones can be a *very* tasty alternative :) One or two handfuls should be plenty. It works for me because I prefer a higher-fat diet while generally cutting out refined carbohydrates and grains.

I have no idea what your diet is like, but a handful of nuts/seeds a day should have no problem fitting in.

If for some reason it doesn't, though, or you don't like nuts/seeds or are allergic to them, leafy green vegetables are a good source of magnesium (they're incredibly nutrient-dense in general and eating plenty of leafy greens would probably have numerous other benefits as well, just as an aside), as well as some foods listed here:

WHFoods: magnesium

High Magnesium Foods

There's a lot to pick from! A handful of nuts/seeds or a tablespoon or two of nut/seed butter (like almond butter or cashew butter) is probably one of the easiest ways to do it, though. Just my own personal thoughts -- hope you find something that works for you. Good luck :)

P.S. If you go to [link removed], you can do a search for foods high in certain nutrients by hovering the cursor over the "Tools" tab, and then clicking "Nutrient search tool" from the drop-down menu. You can select magnesium, for example, on the "foods highest in ________" menu, and then click search, and it'll show you foods that are highest in magnesium. You can do this for any nutrient they have available on the search engine, and it can be very handy.

coastalcass 09-18-2010 06:14 PM

I haven't been sleeping well, so I did some research on that. I found out that a lack of minerals, magnesium in particular, may be the cultprit. Since I take a magnesium/calsium/zinc supplement (helps tremedously with cramps) ...i did further research. I now take a liquid magnesium CHLORIDE supplement in my smoothie. What a difference! I can sleep now. :]

almeeker 09-19-2010 12:12 AM

Uh, I wonder if that would help me some? Gonna have to give it a try, I haven't slept well in YEARS, maybe ever.

Rcht 09-21-2010 06:38 AM

Organic -Black strap molasses- by Bragg's and apple cider vinegar. Research it to make sure you like the idea.

Low calorie and excellent for you.

vsabino 09-22-2010 12:42 PM

Will_Fox, as coastalcass is saying, when you're lacing magnesium you do have cramps, really painful ones. So unless you are experiencing that, I wouldn't be sure that you are actually miss magnesium. Many times the nutritional labels only report vit A, C, calcium and iron, so you may not log other vitamins/minerals in even though you are getting enough of them.

enmuffins 09-26-2010 06:39 AM

Upping Phosphates?

Originally Posted by tabbygyrl (Post 19331)
I started my diet a little over a month ago. Joined FitDay on the 13th. Since then I have been paying close attention to my RDI. I noticed I am always lacking enough Phosphorus and Magnesium. I already take Vitamin and Calcium Supplements daily. Are there certain foods that contain these? I dont want to end up taking MORE vitamins/mineral tablets a day.

Thanks!! =D

I would not take the numbers/percentages of phosphates given by FitDay for foods eaten to be correct. I noticed that my average RDA of phosphates was well over the 100% mark from the foods I listed. I then took each individual food I had listed and checked my % of the RDA for that food - on the FitDay list. When I added ALL the foods eaten with their % of phosphate it came to a much smaller %. Since my goal is to REDUCE the amounts of Phosphates - I'm 83 years old and am monitoring my kidney function and high phosphates are a No-No this checking by me meant that I was no longer alarmed at my phosphate intake.
I don't know how the other nutrients stack up but I'm quite upset that I now have to resort to other means of quantifying my phosphates and possibly other nutrients.
I cant understand WHY one would want to increase phosphates especially if one is old and where kidney function decreases by small amounts year by year.
:eek:

enmuffins 09-26-2010 06:51 AM

PS to my last post

I saw this in the University of Maryland Medical website:

Having too much phosphorus in the body is actually more common and more worrisome than having too little. Too much phosphorus is generally caused by kidney disease or by consuming too much dietary phosphorus and not enough dietary calcium. As the amount of phosphorus you eat rises, so does the need for calcium. The delicate balance between calcium and phosphorus is necessary for proper bone density and prevention of osteoporosis.
Uses:
Phosphates (phosphorus) are used clinically to treat the following:

Hypophosphatemia, low levels of phosphorus in the body
Hypercalcemia, high blood calcium levels
Calcium-based kidney stones
These conditions require a doctor's care.
Most people get plenty of phosphorus in their diets. Sometimes athletes use phosphate supplements before competitions or heavy workouts to help reduce muscle pain and fatigue, although it's not clear how much it helps or if it improves performance.
Dietary Sources:
Protein-rich foods, such as meat, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy products, nuts, and legumes, are good sources of phosphorus. Other sources include whole grains, hard potatoes, dried fruit, garlic cloves, and carbonated beverages.

VitoVino 08-22-2011 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by tabbygyrl (Post 19331)
I noticed I am always lacking enough Phosphorus and Magnesium. I already take Vitamin and Calcium Supplements daily. Are there certain foods that contain these?

Yogurt has a good amount of phosphorus in it. It's about 20% for once 6 ounce serving of low fat. Plus yogurt has decent protein and calcium. As far as I'm concerned, 2 6 ounce containers of low fat yogurt makes up part of the perfect, healthy breakfast.

Now I'm working on getting more magnesium myself. It's the only nutrient severely lacking every day for me. This thread has given me ideas.

Good sources of magnesium

* Salad greens.
* Nuts.
* Soybeans and tofu.
* Seeds.
* Whole grains, such as those found in whole-grain breads and cereals.
* Green, leafy vegetables, such as spinach, broccoli, and cabbage.

VitoVino 08-25-2011 09:24 AM

The buzz around the internet is that Mg is a very difficult nutrient to meet the RDA. Of course, Mg may not be reported with Nutrition Facts labels on products even though the product contains it. A good example is V8 Juice. I know that V8 has Mg in it, yet it's not listed on the label. I found some reported values for Mg in V8 on various websites and have estimated the amount to be about 6-8 %. I have just contacted Campbell's and have requested that they update the labels for all of their V8 products. I am suggesting that we all do this kind of thing whenever we come across a situation like this.

Anyway, with my 1600 caloric intake I am not meeting my Mg minimum even though I'm making a conscious effort to do so. The problem is, if I eat the amount of pumpkin seeds that I'm supposed to (they are packed with Mg) I am then going over my caloric intake. It's the same with trying to eat other foods that are high in Mg; eating them just for the sake of getting the Mg will be adding too many calories.

So I've decided to purchase a Magnesium Citrate supplement. Problem solved.

The reason why I'm concerned about not getting adequate amounts of Mg is that it is very important for endurance type sports. My biking is over 1.5 hours a day now and I can't afford to be lacking energy. I'm going to take the supplements to make SURE I'm getting adequate amounts, rather than just hoping that the Nutrition labels are off.

almeeker 08-25-2011 09:41 AM

One of my best buddies is a nutritionist. She swears by mustard for Mg, think about it, mustard is made from mustard seeds. Anyway it seems to help my leg cramps quite a lot, and I like it, and it has very few calories, win-win-win.

VitoVino 08-25-2011 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 54903)
One of my best buddies is a nutritionist. She swears by mustard for Mg, think about it, mustard is made from mustard seeds. Anyway it seems to help my leg cramps quite a lot, and I like it, and it has very few calories, win-win-win.

That sounds like a good idea. Many times my late at night snack will be pretzel sticks. I think I'll try them with some mustard tomorrow.