Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITDAY FORUMS > Newcomers
70lbs down! A lot more to go! New to fitday & need support! >

70lbs down! A lot more to go! New to fitday & need support!

Notices

70lbs down! A lot more to go! New to fitday & need support!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:53 PM
FitDay Member

Default 70lbs down! A lot more to go! New to fitday & need support!

HELLO EVERYONE! My name is Angie and I just joined this site. I have lost 70 pounds so far, going from 336 to 260. I still have a long way to go so I am in need of some support.

I am from Philadelphia, PA but I moved to Cleveland OH 4 years ago, to be with my then boyfriend now husband. I dont have many friends here. My husbands friends (all guys) love me to death, they love talking to me and i make them laugh, they think I am the coolest chick. But i cant just call them up and hang out with them without my husband there. They have girlfriends but they are so much younger than me and so immature i cant stand hanging out with them. Its like Im not there anyway cause they just ignore me and text their boyfriends. Like they cant go 5 minutes without knowing what they are doing, who they are with and everything and its so annoying talking to someone who could care less about me. So Im really lonely.

And another thing, this year has been the hardest year of my life. Besides the happy times, getting married to someone i love dearly the rest of the year was horrible. My daddy died very suddenly in the beginning of the year. We took him to the hospital on Christmas morning cause he was having trouble breathing. They said he had Pneumonia, and Pulmonary fibrosis. They said maybe 6 months, hopefully. But he didn't even make it a month, He died On Jan 4th. HE was 66 years old. I was so sad but I knew I had to be strong for my mom, like i was my entire life. I was the strong one, i was the adult. She said many times How will I live without him? 35 years is a long time.

I took care of her for months after that. We were always close but we got even closer. I made sure I made her laugh everyday. I made sure she knew how much I loved her and how much I needed her here. But i guess losing my dad was too much. The 15th of June she fell into a coma due to the insane amount of blood she lost due to internal bleeding. She also had Pneumonia and a severe infection from a wound that didn't heal. She lost so much blood She lasted a week in the hospital until her heart stooped June 23rd at 6 am. She was only 56 years old! Too young! She was everything to me. She was my best friend, the best mother anyone could have. She just had this way about her that made you feel so loved. And I felt safe. And now she is gone and with that my support cause she always encouraged me and told me I could do anything and we would talk on the phone for hours, cause she still lived in Philly and after my husband and I got a two bedroom we were going to move her up here shortly after. We got the apartment June 1st, I just wanted some time with my husband who I just married May 26th. So I said we will come and get you in like a month. I feel so bad cause i wasn't with her. I feel so selfish that i did that. That I made her wait. I know I shouldn't blame myself. But i still feel horrible. She was such an angel. Its like dying every day, waking up and realizing she is gone.

Anyway, After my dad died I started taking better care of myself. After my mom died, nothing mattered, i lost weight extremely fast cause I was in such pain over losing my mother, that I could not eat anything. So in two months I lost 50 pounds. And then when I started eating again i gained 14 pounds back cause i wasn't use to eating and my body held on to every piece of food i ate. cause i would go days without a bite.

Since they both died so young I made a promise to myself that I would take better care of myself so thats why I am here. I would love to make some new friends, I would love to help support and encourage people and would really appreciate the same. So if you live in Cleveland and want a workout buddy, a friend to help along the way. someone that is losing weight too and wants to be healthy, send me a message. And anyone, all over the world, I would like to make some online friends too. I am a great friend. I listen and help in anyway I can. I have my whole life.

Sorry this was so long and so sad but I just wanted to get my story out there, and maybe someone else is going through the same thing and can relate.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:48 AM
FitDay Member

Default I can relate...

Hello Stella,

Welcome to Fitday! This is a great place to come to if you want to lose weight. I've been using this site for years. I think the number one thing that got me to my goal weight is logging all my food and exercise every day.

I have to say it's really hard for me to respond to much of what you wrote. It really touched my tough old heart. My Dad was asking when I could come visit him, but I put that off, then he had a stroke. I rushed to his bedside, but he never made it out of his coma. It's hard to live with that memory, but I just try to focus on the good times we had together.

It was my Mom, however, that really motivated me to work on getting healthy. I realized that most of the problems she faced were due to a lifetime of being overweight. I realized that this is a fate I could change.
Not overnight, but over time. It's really hard at first, but soon you start feeling better, and better.

Unfortunately, I'm not in Ohio, so I can't be your work out buddy. I used to wish I had a workout buddy. When that didn't materialize, I even paid a trainer so I would be compelled to push harder (spending money is a big motivator for me). Then I started buying workout stuff I use in my house. That's what works for me - I don't have to plan, or get in the car, I just do it. (Hate how that term has been co-opted in ads!) Some days just once for 30 mins to an hour, sometimes for a few minutes a few times a day. For instance, I fold three bath towels, jump rope for as long as I can, walk it off while walking the towels to the linen closet, fold three more towels ....

Anyway, I hope you find a workout buddy, or at least will keep in touch on one of the 'Motivational' threads that pop up here weekly. There are lots of ideas on how to loose weight and keep it off here. I'm sure you will find your way.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Angela, welcome to FitDay. I am so sorry for the losses of your parents. I lost my wonderful dad 9 years ago and I can relate to the sadness.

Secondly, congratulations on the 70 pounds you have already lost! That is a tremendous accomplishment! And congrats as well for taking this "wake up call" and making positive steps for your own health. And I honestly believe that your mom and dad know what you're doing and are so proud of you .

Unfortunately, I'm not in Cleveland, either, but there are a number of threads on this board that are full of supportive and clever people. You may want to check out the 7-Day Motivational Thread in the Women's corner; we start over each Monday but you can jump in at any time; we would love to have you. Also, there is a thread called Have You Exercised Today? that is good for motivation as well. Have a look around and jump in wherever you like. Looking forward to seeing you!

dmartz, thanks for your response also. Well said.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:09 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you so much! I really appreciate you kind words. I would love to keep in touch. Online support is better than no support. So thank you and i will be joining in on the threads.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:46 PM
FitDay Member

I know how grief can knock you down.I lost my own mother about six years ago.
And it did contribute to my bad eating habits for awhile.
But the pain does lessen over time,and you can remember the warmth of love they gave you.

I would suggest that you do a search for a grief support group in your area.That's what they're there for.

Also you might consider joining something like Weightwatchers, or a Gym,or fitness club of some kind.The best way to meet new friends in the area is to go for what interests you.Hopefully you will meet some like minded people.

Best wishes.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:34 PM
FitDay Member

You sure have had a tough time. Keep up the good work though, it is such a positive thing to do for yourself. It sure is easier to gain it!