Notices

Help with Progress Table

Old 10-24-2012, 02:12 PM
FitDay Member

Default Help with Progress Table

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me understand the calories goal.

I'm currently at 148 lbs and my goal is to get to 130 lbs by Dec 25.

So then Fitday gives me this default Progress table:

Calories You Burn: 1615 (goal) 1808 (current)
Calories to Eliminate: 944 (goal) 945 (current)
Calories to Eat: 671 (goal) 862 (current)

This makes no sense. I'm only to eat 862 calories a day? That's insane, not to mention dangerous. Am I reading this wrong?
Old 10-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

I don't use the FitDay 2.0, so maybe someone else can help you out with the "goal" and "current" numbers, but I will say that to go from 148 to 130 in about 8 weeks puts you at losing over 2 pounds per week, which may be why your calories appear to be so restricted.

FitDay only does the math calculation, no matter how much sense it makes. It doesn't guarantee that it's safe or makes sense; it's purely based on how much you tell it you want to lose and how long you tell it you want it to take.

To lose more than two pounds a week, you would have to be a calorie deficit of greater than 1000 calories per day. That's hard to do when you're only burning 1600-1800 to begin with.

If you move your goal date out a bit, you will probably see a more reasonable number of calories you can eat.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
I don't use the FitDay 2.0, so maybe someone else can help you out with the "goal" and "current" numbers, but I will say that to go from 148 to 130 in about 8 weeks puts you at losing over 2 pounds per week, which may be why your calories appear to be so restricted.

FitDay only does the math calculation, no matter how much sense it makes. It doesn't guarantee that it's safe or makes sense; it's purely based on how much you tell it you want to lose and how long you tell it you want it to take.

To lose more than two pounds a week, you would have to be a calorie deficit of greater than 1000 calories per day. That's hard to do when you're only burning 1600-1800 to begin with.

If you move your goal date out a bit, you will probably see a more reasonable number of calories you can eat.
I just went in to 2.0 to see if I can figure it out but like you said, it probably has to do with the amount of weight to lose in such a short period of time.

ON EDIT: Yep that looks like it's exactly what it is.

says.candy, either you have your metabolism (activity under profile) set wrong or you are getting the "dangerous" amount of calories because your goal may be considered "dangerous". That is a lofty goal for such a short period of time, and trying to do it through the holidays won't make it any easier... at least it wouldn't for me.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 10-24-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:44 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you both! I pushed back my goal date to the end of January and it adjusted my calorie intake to 1020. Which is still low, but that's what I'd need to eat to lose weight without taking into account exercise too. I think I have a bit of a handle on it now!