Notices

Just joined yesterday

Old 09-14-2012, 04:37 AM
FitDay Member

Default Just joined yesterday

I just joined yesterday. Needed help to control my calorie intake for diabetes. So far this has helped me out a lot in controlling what and how much I am eating.
From August 22 to September 7 had lost 7 lbs already but wasn't sure if I was eating right or not.
Still a little bit lost since I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Afraid to eat for not sure what I should avoid eating and what I can actually eat.
Have so many allergies that there isn't that much variety in what I can eat and not eat. Am afraid that will get tired of just eating chicken for the protein. Can't have any turkey and the majority of seafood. Any suggestions?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:15 AM
FitDay Member

I don't know what you allergies are but the following are good sources for protein. Eggs, Cottage cheese, Yogurt especially Greek Yogurt, Lean cuts of beef or pork, tofu, lentils and beans, and as a supplement Whey protein shakes (from mix) made with either water or milk.

You need to talk to your nutritionist or doctor but I would think you want to stay away from the simple carbohydrates (that are quickly converted to sugar by your body) like White bread, white rice, sugar, most pre-processed foods that come out of a box like crackers, and snacks and fruit juices. Instead try to convert to carbohydrate source with fiber that slows down the conversion to sugar process. Whole grain products, brown rice, vegetables and fresh fruit are good carbohydrate sources.

Fat is an important part of your diet and has been shown to satiate hunger. I have a personal theory that people on low/no fat diets always fail because they are always hungry.

Good luck and ask away if you have more questions.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:17 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks Ron
So far I am staying away from everything that is white as in bread, pasta, rice. Taking everything multi grain.
Becoming lactose intolerant so any milk product is out including cheeses and even soy. Found the coconut milk mixed with almond milk to replace the milk to have some cereal in the morning. And don't even take the whole cup of it. Just enough to moisten the half a cup of cereal.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default Google

You can always "Google" for diabetic recipes online
endless choices !! Thats what i do
Old 09-15-2012, 01:40 PM
FitDay Member

Be sure to stay away from hidden foods like ketchup, sauces that are high in sugar. I am using no sugar added jam. Not the same taste but I got used to it.
A friend of mine emailed some vegetarian options/recipes to me if you are interested (mostly tofu).

Hang in there you will figure it out. Lots of people here to help too.

Jenn