Notices

Hope 'Not too old'

Old 08-08-2012, 04:47 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hope 'Not too old'

I have heart disease and have had 3 stents put into my heart in the past 11 years. I need to lose weight and start an exercise program. I am 68 years old and 60 lbs. overweight. Please tell me this is not impossible to do.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:53 AM
FitDay Member

Its never too late to start being healthy. Just realize you aren't 20 anymore. Guard against injury by choosing low impact exercises like walking or swimming. (I have a knee that had surgery and I can't take the pounding of jogging but I really like the elliptical machine.) I am also a big believer in resitance or weight training. Again start light so you don't injure yourself. Weight training will actually make your bones stronger (countering osteoporosis) as well as your muscles. Cut 500 calories off your maintenance and the weight will come off at a steady pace. As your fitness level increases you can intensify your workouts.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:01 AM
FitDay Member

If you doctor thinks it is good, and clears you, then do it! You will feel so much better.

I love water aerobics, I love walking, and I love yoga. All good, low impact activities. I walk at the mall on really hot days or rainy days.
My advice to start is to :

Eat with awareness. Slow down, Pay attention to they way food tastes, really TASTE it... you will find you won't overeat if you do.

I don't work with deadlines. " I will lose 7 pounds by whatever date..." that just doesn't work for me. I just say, "I will do it."

I'm proud of you for thinking this is something you want to do.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 AM
FitDay Member

Making a change to a healthier lifestyle is never too late and there is always a way to achieve that goal no matter what your health issues are.

As frenchhen3 says if your doctor clears you and says it's ok then go for it. So you be proud of yourself for wanting to make this change.

My recommendation is go for low impact and functional exercises combined with healthy eating. Talk to your doctor about what they recommend for you and keep us updated with your progress, we will all be routing for you.