FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   I'm new here. (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/7857-im-new-here.html)

ftshadow 07-16-2012 12:10 AM

I'm new here.

Good morning, all. I am new here. I have been on Weight Watchers twice, and I did lose weight, but I am starting to gain my last weight loss back. I started this about a week ago and I just can't stick to counting again. I am not eating right and I am just wondering how you all got started. How do I get in the mind-set to track every day and workout every day? I have a lot of stress at work right now, and I think that is part of my problem. I keep eating as a way to get away from stress. (Like that works.) I would really love some encouragement and advice. I need to lose over 100 lbs.

Kathy13118 07-16-2012 01:11 AM

How long has it been since you were at WW? They have a new Points Plus system that is easier for people who don't like to count, because fruits and vegetables are free. The points have changed for food because the calculation method has changed.

It's hard to find a diet that doesn't ask you to observe the balance of calories and still allows you to eat everything (plenty of diets tell you to cut out food groups, but long term, they are even harder to stay with).

Fitday gives you a good place to watch what you're eating. That is, in its own way, counting.

I do understand the 'diet fatigue.' Have you considered a doctor-supervised very low calorie diet, like Optifast (just an example)? It's strict and restrictive but you do lose a lot of weight with supervsion. You could ask your doctor about that.

ftshadow 07-16-2012 01:00 PM

I joined WW last year after the new PP started, but I could only afford online, and I lost 30 pounds, but then I started to go off-plan, and then I just stopped counting all together, and I quit. I kept the weight off for about a year, but now I have been doing horrible. I am super stressed out at my job and apparently I am trying to eat away the stress. (Doesn't work.) I have gained 5-6 lbs back. I just can't seem to start counting again. I don't know what is wrong with me. No I have not talked to a doctor about a diet. Money is tight, and I don't want to pay all the co-pays for follow up visits.

nichaleh 07-16-2012 01:02 PM

I'm pretty much following the csiro diet, though not by menu. I am trying to match the servings which I find easier than point counting. Here is the basic outline I'm following:

LEAN BEEF, LAMB OR VEAL – for dinner at least 4 times a week
You must eat at least four serves (approx. 200g raw weight) for dinner of lean red meat (beef, lamb or veal) per week. Fish (200g raw weight) is recommended twice per week, and fat-trimmed chicken or other lean meat may be included for dinner one night per week.

LEAN PROTEIN (MEAT, POULTRY OR FISH) – for lunch daily
You need to eat a 100g serve of any lean-protein source(fish, seafood, chicken, pork, ham, beef, lamb or turkey).
• 2 eggs can be substituted twice a week for the lean-protein serve.
You must eat the red meat quota and lunch meat/chicken/fish quota each day.

WHOLEGRAIN BREAD, two slices per day
You can exchange one slice of bread for any of the following foods:
• 2 crispbread, such as Ryvita™.
• 1 medium potato or 1/3 cup of cooked rice or 1/2 cup of cooked pasta.

HIGH-FIBRE CEREAL, 1 serve per day
1 serve is equivalent to:
• 1 Weet-Bix™ plus 1/2 cup of All-Bran™.
• 40g any high-fibre breakfast cereal (eg Sultana Bran™, Fibre Plus™).
• 1 slice of wholegrain toast.

FRESH FRUIT, 2 serves per day
Two serves of fresh or tinned, unsweetened fruit every day.One serve is equal to 150g or 150ml of unsweetened juice.

DAIRY FOODS, 2 serves per day
1 serve is equivalent to:
• Low-fat or diet yogurt, 200g.
• Low-fat custard or dairy dessert, 200g.
• 25g cheddar or other full-fat cheese, or 50g reduced-fat cheese.
• Low-fat milk, 250ml (select only low-fat brands such as Light Start™, Shape™, Tone™, PhysiCAL™, etc).

VEGETABLES, plentiful amounts per day
Up to 21/2 cups of vegetables every day (see free list above)

FAT AND OIL, 3 teaspoons of added oils/fats per day
This includes any liquid oils such as:
• Canola, olive or sunflower.
• Soft margarine (2 teaspoons lite margarine = 1 teaspoon oil).
• 3 teaspoons oil = 60g avocado or 20g nuts.

LOW KILOJOULE SOUP 1 cup per day (optional).

WINE Two glasses (300ml) per week (optional).

(taken from women's weekly total wellbeing diet pdf)

I did weight watches and it did work but it involved me obsessing about food all day to work out the points, I just couldn't keep it up. This way I know I have so many serves of each food group a day, I try to make them all lean options and if I don't feel as hungry that day I drop carbs before anything else.

Part of my success so far is that I have started working 1 1/2hours per day on my daughters school crossing, I have found that even though I am not actively exercising, just standing up and moving slowly for that time is helping me lose. So you don't have to start running or lifting weights to start improving your exercise (unless you want to). Any extra movement counts, just stand up whenever you can!

hanny60able 07-16-2012 01:43 PM

Well I am back and I want to encourage everyone to hang in there. The weight loss takes time. And more so if it's the second time around. I am trying to lose 70 pounds and it is taking forever. I set a goal for myself of being at or below 190 by years end At the rate it is going I may not make it. I won't give in to stressful eating or eating out of boredom. It doen't help either of those conditions

Make a positive attitude your daily habit
Darrel

lcriswell0421 07-16-2012 03:09 PM

ftshadow, i started changing my eating habits back in about february, and i also had more than 100 lbs to lose (i have lost 45 and have 95 more to go). the key for me when i got started was to NOT change everything in one day. i made gradual changes. first, i worked on switching to whole grains. then i worked on getting off soda. i did small changes one at a time so that i wasn't overwhelmed. i started keeping track of my calories at the end of february. at first, i didn't do so well. but i just kept track of everything to see where i could make small gradual changes. i now have a nutritionist/behavioral change therapist who tells me that if you want sustainable change, it should be gradual change. i wasn't excited about counting calories, either. it was a real chore at first. but it was a real eye opener to what was actually going into my body. when i saw my first small positive results is when i started getting more excited, because it was actually working. now, for me, another important thing is that i don't deny myself anything. if my daughter makes a batch of brownies, i cut up the pan into equal (real size) servings and i have one. if i want a few chips, i weigh them and have a few...and always log everything because a bite here and there can really get away from you. if you ask me it's really important to not feel deprived, because then you'll probably end up binging at some point. i weigh and measure everything. it really helps me to not over eat unintentionally. once i saw a few results is when i really got on board with counting and logging. my blood pressure lowered, i lost a few pounds for the first time in over 5 years, my glucose numbers are almost normal now. and i FEEL better. so i guess my advice to you is to start out making gradual changes that you can live with...don't forget to try to eliminate processed foods as much as possible too and replace them with healthy, whole foods. i hope this helps a little. just hang in there and start making it a habit. it will come and become 2nd nature. also, i forgot, another thing that helps me stay on track is that i use fitday to plan my meals and snacks for the next day ahead of time so i don't resort to foraging and choosing the wrong things. i don't always follow my plan 100%, but it's great to have as a guideline for keeping on track. hope this helps. keep at it...you'll get there!

ftshadow 07-17-2012 12:44 AM

Thank you so much everyone for your advice. I'm so glad I found this site. I switched to whole grain bread a long time ago. I really need to work on getting more fruits and veggies in my diet. I don't drink a lot of pop, and if I do once or twice a week it's always diet. I try to get a lot of water. And now I am going to try for some lean means, I guess. That has been a big problem for me. I hate cooking, and I usually go for the easy processed foods instead. I need to measure my portions and record what I am eating. And I have quite a few Biggest Loser DVDs that I love. Re-starting today. I can do this.

ftshadow 07-17-2012 12:45 AM

Oh, Lcriswell, how do you get the signature at the bottom of your replys?

lcriswell0421 07-17-2012 01:13 AM

when you click on "private messages" right under where it says "welcome" and your name toward the top on the right, you will get a menu bar on the left on the next page that has the "edit signature" option.

alleysgurl 07-17-2012 02:56 AM

Welcome ftshadow! The fact that you have come to fitday shows that you're making an effort. Congratulations. I've had a horrible time losing weight. I also did WW for about 4 months and then fell off the band wagon. According to my mother, who lost 25lbs with WW and has kept it off for going on 2 years, the missing link was me not going to the weekly weigh-ins and "meetings". I just couldn't afford it financially and couldn't take the time to go. I do my exercising in the evenings. After a long, stressful day a little work-out helps relax and calm me down.

Two weeks ago I started really paying attention to what I eat. I haven't cut anything out of my diet. I just watch my portions and use moderation. I also started exercising using YouTube videos. There is every kind of work out you could imagine on there! lol
In doing those things, I have lost 3lbs in 2 weeks. I'm happy with that! I would also recommend taking multivitamins. I take a woman's one a day along with additional B-12.

Just set your mind to do it! Each of us have the power and the tools to lose whatever weight we want. You're healthy body is out there...now go get it! ;)