FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   I'm new to FitDay (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/7823-im-new-fitday.html)

judi4562 07-09-2012 06:09 AM

I'm new to FitDay

I am new to FitDay and need lots of help and encouragement. I need to lose approx. 60 lbs and do not like hardly any of the foods you need to eat to maintain a healthy diet. I don't do seafood and very few veggies. I am trying to start eating some veggies, but struggling. My basic meals are meat and potatoes. Starches are a big weakness. My family has a restaurant and I work there as a manager. So you can see I have food around me all the time. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.:)

cindyrosa 07-10-2012 01:52 AM

Hi, I'm like you! I need to lose 50 pounds and have a hard time with veggies. This week my goal is 3 servings a day! You with me? Potatoes of any kind are my weakness. Help!

wildbeanerz 07-10-2012 02:04 AM

You could try working your veggies into sauces and creams that are with your other foods. Make smoothies using fruits if you don't like them either. It's hard to hear but you will need to learn to eat them. Honestly once you do it for a while you will lose your taste for the sweet foods and the veggies will taste much better.

I used to hate yogurt, cottage cheese, peaches, peas, and the list goes on. Now I would rather eat any of these foods over something high fat. It's a compromise at first but honestly you can change your taste preferences. :)

cindyrosa 07-10-2012 02:08 AM

Thanks, I do drink fruit smoothies for breakfast. I could probably add some veggies it hour changing the flavor much. Thanks for the tip!

judi4562 07-10-2012 09:03 AM

Thanks for the advice about veggies. Cindy, I'm gonna try to be with you and do 3 servings a day. The advice about shakes/smoothies is a good one and I have been trying to make shakes/smoothies with fresh berries, etc. I have not added the veggies at this time. Please continue to forward any advice, words of wisdom and success stories. :)

judi4562 07-10-2012 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz (Post 85119)
You could try working your veggies into sauces and creams that are with your other foods. Make smoothies using fruits if you don't like them either. It's hard to hear but you will need to learn to eat them. Honestly once you do it for a while you will lose your taste for the sweet foods and the veggies will taste much better.

I used to hate yogurt, cottage cheese, peaches, peas, and the list goes on. Now I would rather eat any of these foods over something high fat. It's a compromise at first but honestly you can change your taste preferences. :)

Thank you for your advice and your journey to reaching your goal. You have done an awesome job...I hope I do as well.:D

hanny60able 07-10-2012 01:04 PM

Well I'm new to these forums and I''m struggling to lose 55 pounds. let me introduce myself. I am a 60s something male and a lifetime member of WW. Needless to say I gained it all back. It's harder the second time around. I have lost 20 pounds, but now I am stuck on a plateau that just won't quite. I tend to snack and not on the low cal stuff. I tend to eat when bored. Darrel

judi4562 07-11-2012 11:21 AM

I know how you feel about snacking on things that are not low calorie or "healthy". I am trying, but at the restaurant it is not easy. I mean with healthy options and fatty options, I tend to lean towards all the wrong things. My willpower is very weak and I want to make the changes needed. :eek:

hanny60able 07-22-2012 12:30 PM

Hello today
I here what you say about veggies. I have trouble with them too. I like corn and peas niether of which is low in calories. I did manage to say no to more than a couple of cookies today. Which is a little victory to build on. Will have to see about making some smoothies. Have a good day and keep on working on the lifestyle change.

ftshadow 07-23-2012 01:13 AM

Wildbeanerz, congrats on your weight loss! My highest weight was 300 last year. I lost 10% in 3 months, I think, and kept it off until recently. I am up to 275.4 today, and not happy about it. When you started, how did you kick the bad food and go for the healthier stuff instead? I keep getting cravings, and I have heard that the more carbs you eat, the more you will want. So I think I need to start staying away from them, but I was just wondering how you started out.

frenchhen3 07-23-2012 01:38 AM

I wasn't a big veggie fan myself. I keep wishing God would "create" a new one! But I do love tomatoes! I eat probably the equivalent of 2 whole softball sized tomatoes a day! I also do okay with lettuce and raw spinach.

I find if you steam or blanch frozen vegetables and add some type of acid to them, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, lemon or lime juice, even pickle juice, they are quite good!

I'm seconding wildbeanerz- once you kick in with the honest food choices you will begin to go to them all the time because you know it is right, and best, and your preferences will change. Who knew I would look FORWARD to my "dessert" of plain yogurt with honey, dried cranberries and walnuts? Who knew I'd "treat" myself to an orange along with a high fiber-low salt English muffin with 1/4 of an avocado, 2 tomato slices, stuck under the broiler with a half slice of pepper jack cheese? (That one is of my to die for breakfasts!)