FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   Going to lose weight this time! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/7149-going-lose-weight-time.html)

Bluesnow222 04-11-2012 04:48 AM

Going to lose weight this time!

Hi, I more recently found this site and thought it would help me keep myself accountable for my weight loss.

I'm 24 years old, and have always had some problems controlling my weight... but when I realized I was over 220 I decided to bite the bullet and get serious. The fact that I have PCOS with tremendous pain every month helped as well :p
Besides feeling better, I'd also love to be more confident in my body and wear sexy clothes =3

Up to this point I have had some successful diets... but they basically consisted of not eating and exercising like mad in 100 degree weather for the summer... I'd lose 30+ pounds... and then put it all back on as soon as my school year started back up =/
I'm a really bad stress and just habit eater...

Right now, the school I'm teaching at is having a biggest loser competition to see who can lose the most weight before the end of the year- the top two winners get a few hundred dollars =D. 2 Weeks in I've lost 8 pounds... I know I'm winning in number of pounds lost... but to make it fairer they're doing it by percentage of pounds loss to original weight.

My Long Term goal in 140 pounds... with my midpoint goal being the weight I was in High school and College- 180. Currently at 213 pounds, and since I'm in the early stage its great seeing the numbers drop on a daily basis. I have to brace myself for when they slow down to keep my motivation up xD

So far I haven't particularly been tempted off my diet- but maybe its because I'm in so much pain with PCOS related cramps that my hunger is secondary. Unfortunately because of the cramps I haven't been able to exercise too much, but I am on my feet all day, plus stressed out on a regular basis which I know helps me burn off pounds if I don't give in and hog out. Hoping to get on some medicine to help with the cramps and then exercise at least an hour a day.

Me and my Boyfriend are trying to support each other in weight loss together, so I have a diet buddy... but its hard cooking for both of us since we have different calorie needs Dx

Anyways... I can be a bit long winded, but since I've been visiting this site I thought to introduce myself. :D

frenchhen3 04-11-2012 07:17 AM

Good to meet you! Remember to look BEYOND the goal/contest... I was just having this conversation with someone today. Set some other goals other than the "number". There are going to be weeks and months that the math doesn't work. There are going to be weeks where you might not lose, might gain... keep other goals floating around to fall on when those types of weeks come along. Use the FITDAY website! I look at my reports all the time! Log your measurements, no matter how you might feel about it today. Also TAKE A BEFORE PICTURE! I didn't take it until I had already lost 20 pounds. Did it in my 1 piece swimsuit, from the back...(no judgement from the back, it's all truth from that angle!) then I take a picture in that same suit every month, standing in front of the same door... same angle... it pulls me through those slow loss months too! Wish I would have a picture of me at my heaviest... but, oh well!

Bluesnow222 04-11-2012 08:34 AM

^ I have plenty of pictures from Christmas that I can use xD

My mother's diet strategy was always finding the ugliest fattest picture she could find and putting it up on the fridge hahaha.

As far as the contest goes... I will be working beyond that of course xP
I'm VERY competitive though, so I was excited to jump start my diet this way. :D
Plus it built up a very big support group of all my fellow co-workers.

I have been using this site every day, I really like its features.
I'm kind of guilty right now... I have been doing ok for the past two weeks... but I've been home sick all day in extreme pain =/
I snacked a little more than I wanted to :(

frenchhen3 04-11-2012 09:34 AM

Log your snacks, be 100% honest with yourself. Figure out how many "extra calories" you consumed. I find, at least for me, that is the best way to deal with those kinds of days, and they will probably happen... Then, either eat a little less the rest of the week or move a little more the rest of the week to off-set it. You should be fine!

wildbeanerz 04-12-2012 03:45 AM

Welcome to the board! I started my journey last February with a weight loss challenge at work. During those 8 weeks I lost 27lbs. I did not stop when the challenge was over as many of the folks here at work did. I have now lost almost 75 lbs. We are in the midst of the challenge again this year but I can't lose as fast as last year.

Set your eyes on a prize. I don't have a goal weight in mind because I can't remember a time when I was happy with my body. So I have a feeling and shape in mind that when I reach it, I will know.

Bluesnow222 04-12-2012 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by frenchhen3 (Post 78700)
Log your snacks, be 100% honest with yourself. Figure out how many "extra calories" you consumed. I find, at least for me, that is the best way to deal with those kinds of days, and they will probably happen... Then, either eat a little less the rest of the week or move a little more the rest of the week to off-set it. You should be fine!

I have been =P
Although I'm actually loosing weight alot quicker than my goal, so I haven't had to make up for anything yet. I mean... this is my 3rd week of my diet, and I'm 5 pounds less than I was on Monday already o_____o

Called my mom who is a nurse if I'm losing weight too fast... she says for my weight 5 pounds a week is good though.

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz (Post 78756)
Welcome to the board! I started my journey last February with a weight loss challenge at work. During those 8 weeks I lost 27lbs. I did not stop when the challenge was over as many of the folks here at work did. I have now lost almost 75 lbs. We are in the midst of the challenge again this year but I can't lose as fast as last year.

Thats why my work is basing it on percentage of weight loss rather than solid pounds, since someone who ways less obviously isn't going to lose weight as fast.

Set your eyes on a prize. I don't have a goal weight in mind because I can't remember a time when I was happy with my body. So I have a feeling and shape in mind that when I reach it, I will know.
Same here... I've pretty much always been at least the chubby girl, so I can't ever remember being that ideal weight. I remember my senior year of high school though, I lost alot of weight, and even though I was still overweight, it was the first time I ever thought I looked pretty. I'd at least like to get back to that weight.