Notices

Another Newbie

Old 04-01-2012, 06:02 PM
FitDay Member

Smile Another Newbie

Hi there,

My name is Meagan. I am going to be 20 years old here in a week. I am 280lbs and ultimately would like to be in the 120-150 range. My current goal is to lose 20lbs by the end of June. I know a good bit about nutrition now. I will be getting a gym membership since I am working again.

I had to have my gall bladder removed in November of 2010. Anyone who's body has not "adjusted" to their gall bladder being removed cannot eat greasy, fattening, or high-carb foods without abdominal pain and other issues. My family is not very supportive.

I should be eating 6 small-ish meals a day. One should be 500 calories, and the rest should be 100 calories or so. It is easier on my lack of a gall bladder to eat smaller amounts often.

My foot arch is completely collapsed (flat-footed). I can walk about 5 miles before my feet completely start killing me. I am working on getting better shoes/orthotics. Losing weight will also help this.

My family is a wreck. I refuse to end up like them and be restricted by my weight. I want to be healthy for me, so that I can accomplish my goals and raise healthy babies one day. I could really use some support on my journey.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Meagan,

Congratulations on starting to make healthy steps for yourself. I'm sorry your family is not supportive, but support is what we have a lot of here on FitDay. Look around the forums and jump in, ask for help or answers. We have a very active forum in the Women's Corner called the 7-Day Motivational Thread. We usually start anew on Mondays but you can jump in whenever. Hope to see you over there, or elsewhere around the boards!
Old 04-02-2012, 02:36 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Meagan!

I'm a newbie, too! I just started my "lifestyle change" today. I refuse to call it a diet because I fail miserably at diets. I have about 200 lbs to lose to be a healthy wait. What a daunting task!

I had gallbladder surgery last January, too. I ended up having a stone sneak out and lodge itself in my liver duct which made a simple procedure turn into a very complicated one. I can completely relate to the symptoms you have after eating certain foods! I can never be too far away from a bathroom if we are eating greasy food. It's embarrassing and frustrating, to say the least.

If you are looking for a motivation buddy, I'd be happy to be yours! I need some extra motivation too as my family isn't all that supportive either. My husband knows I am serious about this, but he still put a bag of Peanut M&M's in front of me tonight. Meanie!

Anyhow, good luck! You can do this!!
Old 04-02-2012, 03:22 PM
FitDay Member

It does feel incredibly daunting. Total I have about 130 pounds to lose I think. Diets are a joke to me, they are like cancer of the weight loss world. A healthy lifestyle is the only way to lose weight and keep it off, I think.

It's nice to have someone to relate to! I would love it if you would be my motivation buddy =] Many people have trouble understanding how bad the abdominal pains can be after eating certain foods, and then sometimes having to go to the bathroom once or twice... and god forbid it has to be a public restroom. My dad gets extremely frustrated when I say, "I can't eat that.". He seems to think I can't eat anything and do it to frustrate him personally, haha.

Cruel and unusual punishment about the M&Ms! My family eats icecream every night;I rarely indulge nowadays. When I do, it's usually frozen yogurt as a special treat with my boyfriend. As my sweet tooth is being particularly insistent tonight, I bought a Skinny Cow thing of icecream. I'll usually go for a yogurt.

Forgive me for babbling. What made you decide to make your lifestyle change?

Also, to cjohnson728: Thank you for the welcome!
Old 04-03-2012, 02:31 PM
FitDay Member

My biggest problem is over indulgence. It's really ridiculous. I kept track of my calories for a week before I started this. All I can say is WOW. I'm talking over 5,000 calories a day and major amounts of carbs and fat. Sadness. (This is a huge reason I have suffered so much after losing my gallbladder.)I was so embarrassed typing it up! But I'm trying to hold myself accountable.

Yesterday I didn't eat enough. I only had 900 calories, however I wasn't starving because I ate a LOT of protein. I woke up with a killer headache this morning, but I'm not sure if it was from lack of food or lack of Diet Coke (my life line, haha). I didn't quit cold turkey, but I did cut back drastically. I only had 4 Diet Cokes yesterday (I know that seems like a lot, but I was drinking 8+ a day) Today went better...I really focused on eating lots of small meals and trying to eat lots of protein. So far I've accomplished 1300 calories. I plan on having a Weight Watcher's fudgesicle. I'm craving chocolate badly!

How did your day go???
Old 04-03-2012, 04:01 PM
FitDay Member

I'm almost positive that before I started tracking my diet I was doing something similar. I started FitDay shortly after talking to my doctor and her telling me I need to eat a lot of "rabbit food" and eat 6 small meals a day. She said one should be 500 calories, and the rest should be 100 calories. I am embarrassed to talk about the issues with my gall bladder. I usually leave it at abdominal cramps.

I never let myself go hungry, it means my body needs something. Today I didn't eat enough calories but had too many carbs (I think). I am having trouble figuring out the general amount of carbs I should be eating. I recently switched to diet sodas. Soda is the hardest thing for me to give up and I know depriving yourself of what you want will only lead to splurging. So... I figure worry about the chemicals in diet soda later. Surprisingly I haven't had any caffeine withdrawals despite drinking it for years (unless that's where all my sweet cravings are coming from?).

My day went well, very active. I didn't exercise persay but I lifted wood, packed things for camping. My family eats lots of sugary things while camping. I tried to find myself some sweet treats that weren't all fats, carbs, and sugar. It is not easy. We are going clamming on the coast this weekend.

Should we move this conversation to a PM? I don't want to be "spamming" the threads.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:45 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Sounds like you guys are getting on the right track! Please post as much as you like, or go to PMs if you wish. The cool thing about threads like this is that others can learn from them.

I didn't really track my cals before cutting back, but I'm sure most days were WAY over 5,000. Heck, I've had days up to that when at "camp" even now--it's not hard to do. If you do that every day, though, well, we know what happens.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Michael