Notices

Hi there! I'm 15 and looking for a buddy!

Old 03-20-2012, 01:55 AM
FitDay Member

Exclamation Hi there! I'm 15 and looking for a buddy!

I'm new to FitDay. I'm 15 years old, 5'5, and at 162 pounds today. I'm really trying to get down to about 115-120. I want to lose the 40 pounds within about 4 to 5 months. Once I start losing weight, it comes off faster and it'll be easier to keep it off. The only thing is, when I try losing weight on my own without any encouragement or assistance I give up or get bored. So, I am going to try again! I need someone to swap tips and encourage me throughout my weight-loss journey, and I'll do the same for you. Anyone looking for a buddy please message me.
Thank you!
~Karissa

edit: Let's make that 6 months. LOL. I've been looking around and I think I want to just lose 30.

Last edited by KarissaMurphy; 03-21-2012 at 03:53 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:34 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

HI there I'm glad you decided to join. I would love to help motivate you and vise versa.
Although I think your goals maybe hard to stick to. it could be the reason for your previous failed attempts. you would have to lose 2lbs a week for 5 months to reach your goal. I'm not saying its not possible but its tough. also as you start to lose weight it will come off more slowly.
I'm not trying to discourage you I just don't want you to be disappointed when it doesn't come off as fast as you thought.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 AM
FitDay Member

At your age, nutrition is critical as you're still growing/maturing. Trying to lose 2 lbs a week will be difficult while maintaining a good nutritional balance.

Revise your goals to a pound a week, it will be easier and better for you.
Remember, weight loss/maintenance is a life-long pursuit.
You need to learn eating and exercise habits that keep the weight off rather than losing weight and then going back to the lifestyle that put on the pounds in the first place.

Talk to the track coach at your school, if you've got a good one, he/she may be willing to let you join the team even this far into the season or can at least offer some advice.

Being a part of the team can help with motivation. Don't worry about your athleticism(or lack of it ), a good coach wants to see each athlete achieve their best, not just focus on the studs/studdettes.

Also, some cross country programs( most likely the same coach as track) will have a summer training program.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:06 PM
FitDay Member

Location: Born in Deutschland Now I reside in the East Coast of the USA

Make sure your weight goal is in a healthy range for your age and height. 115 Sounds fairly thin for your height. Make sure you consult with a professional or a trusted adult with this weight goal. Good luck!
Old 03-21-2012, 03:54 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks. But I do school online and I can't run as much anymore as I have bad joints. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:59 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mydaywillcome
Make sure your weight goal is in a healthy range for your age and height. 115 Sounds fairly thin for your height. Make sure you consult with a professional or a trusted adult with this weight goal. Good luck!

115 to 120 actually isn't that bad for my height. I've checked and I know what's a healthy weight for me. I do my best around 120 to 123, but I find that if I aim for something lower, I'm more likely to get to the best weight for me. Also, once I start losing it, I'll stop working as hard but still stick with the healthy changes Iv'e made in order to maintain that weight. Most of my weight is due to over eating, not exercising and not drinking enough water. Don't worry- I won't become an unhealthy weight. I don't want to end up looking stick-thin. I just wan to be leaner and more fit.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:02 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by handcycle2005
At your age, nutrition is critical as you're still growing/maturing. Trying to lose 2 lbs a week will be difficult while maintaining a good nutritional balance.

Revise your goals to a pound a week, it will be easier and better for you.
Remember, weight loss/maintenance is a life-long pursuit.
You need to learn eating and exercise habits that keep the weight off rather than losing weight and then going back to the lifestyle that put on the pounds in the first place.

Talk to the track coach at your school, if you've got a good one, he/she may be willing to let you join the team even this far into the season or can at least offer some advice.

Being a part of the team can help with motivation. Don't worry about your athleticism(or lack of it ), a good coach wants to see each athlete achieve their best, not just focus on the studs/studdettes.

Also, some cross country programs( most likely the same coach as track) will have a summer training program.
Thanks. But I do school online and I can't run as much anymore as I have bad joints. Thanks for the advice though.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:03 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by hippie_girl
HI there I'm glad you decided to join. I would love to help motivate you and vise versa.
Although I think your goals maybe hard to stick to. it could be the reason for your previous failed attempts. you would have to lose 2lbs a week for 5 months to reach your goal. I'm not saying its not possible but its tough. also as you start to lose weight it will come off more slowly.
I'm not trying to discourage you I just don't want you to be disappointed when it doesn't come off as fast as you thought.

Thank you! For the encouragement part, we can message each other. Is that alright?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:38 PM
FitDay Member

Location: Born in Deutschland Now I reside in the East Coast of the USA

Alright! It all depends on the person anyway, good for you for knowing your limits and abilities, and its important that you took it upon yourself to do research. Good for you. And always keep in mind. The most important part is your health. The lean is the perk!
Old 03-25-2012, 04:02 AM
FitDay Member

I don't think 115-120 is unreasonable. It is difficult, but you can do it. I'm 23 years old and I'm 5"3 and I'm currently 155 lbs (I use to be 255), and my goal weight is 120. We can defininitely encourage each other.