Community
Notices

New here!

Old 03-05-2012, 03:02 AM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb New here!

Hi all!

I just turned 25 on Feb 28th, and after many, many (unsuccessful) attempts at trying to get into shape, I think I'm finally ready to take that step and do what's right!

Over the last few years, my activity has dropped dramatically. I tried here and there and kept telling myself "tomorrow" is when I'll start cutting back, and this and that, you all know how it goes I'm sure! I think it finally clicked and I realize that, until I quit telling myself "tomorrow" it will always be a vicious cycle and nothing will ever be accomplished!

But I'm here, and looking to make things right! Things always seem easier when you can tell other people how you feel and have someone to give you a nudge in the right direction, and think I've made a right choice in doing this, and look forward to hearing back from everyone!

A few questions however!
-I've never been sure of what a lot of the things mean (in regards to nutrition)
-I have a "goal" weight, but I'm also seeing a lot of people have mini-goals, and that's a good thing, but what is a safe weight loss, and what is not?
-I'm at 380, and have a goal of 200 lb. what's a safe "date"?

Sorry for the rather silly/dumb sounding questions, but it's pretty valid .

Thanks for reading though, and any support/suggestions anyone can provide!
Old 03-05-2012, 03:40 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome and congratulations!! :-) I am starting my third month on FitDay and I don't think I could have gotten as far as I have so far without the inspiration and motivation from the people in these forums (I bet they don't even know who they are)!

As far as safety goes, I'm probably not qualified to offer solid advice, except to say that consulting a doctor might be the best option if you want to set a final date, etc. In general, I know that it is safe to lose 2-3 lbs a week, but that the weight will usually start coming off faster at first and then start slowing down.

What I've found is, this site has been SO helpful in keeping me aware of what goes into my mouth, that just knowing has helped me to check myself, and the weight started coming off without me having to follow some crazy diet or grueling exercise regime. In the end, if it feels right and healthy, then you are probably on the right track.

I know this probably seems like terribly unhelpful advice, haha. But I wish you all the best on your journey, regardless. :-)
Old 03-05-2012, 05:34 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome!

The standard reply is that one to two pounds per week is generally "safe". If you're pretty heavy (like I was) then the weight will really peel off quickly at first. It will taper off, though, and not everyone loses at the same rate.

I don't think it is realistic, at this stage in your new lifestyle, to pick a final goal date. What worked pretty well for me was going in 10% increments. Until you're much smaller, losing 10% of your body weight in around 90 days is pretty doable. Again, though, you should talk to a doctor.

Please feel free to check in to the 100+ to Lose thread, if you like. Also, we'll be starting a new Lose 10% Challenge on April 1 (when the current one ends).

If you have any other questions, just ask!

Regards,
Michael