Notices

Hi, I"m new

Old 01-06-2012, 09:42 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hi, I"m new

I've been battling my weight since I went through some sudden metabolism changes when I was around 25. At that point, I also started battling blood-sugar issues that made curbing intake very difficult. I could EITHER cut calories, OR have cognitive functioning, not both.

By the time I was 30, I weighed over 200 lbs.

When I was around 33, a diabetic friend of mine (Type I diabetic since childhood) recommended I try Atkins to control my blood sugar issues. Not only did it work for that, but the weight started falling off, as well... effortlessly, or so it seemed.

Right up until I got pregnant.

You cannot do Atkins at the level I was while pregnant, so I stopped. Things weren't too bad thru my first pregnancy, and I lost weight again quickly... And then my second pregnancy happened.

This one was much more difficult on every level than my first. I was hospitalized twice, and I gained a tremendous amount of weight. Since then, various injuries, illnesses, and disabilities have kept me increasingly sedentary.

Finally, I looked in he mirror the other day and was utterly disgusted by what I saw. I do not see how my husband can bear to have sex with me. I am revolting.

I started a new FitDay profile today... I'll be going back on Atkins as soon as I lay in some food-supplies, and I went to the gym today with a friend who has a similar amount of weight to lose.

I am taking my family to Yosemite this April. I would like to be able to (comfortably!) fit into a pair of Size 20W jeans by then. I've set a goal weight of 200 lbs by then. (FitDay thinks this is too much to lose in that time-frame, but the size is truly more important to me than the weight.)

Losing weight will give me my body back.
I'll be able to wear my clothes again.
I'll have less stress on my knee.
I'll be able to do more of the things I enjoy doing.
I"ll be able to spend more time playing with my children.

I'm tired of looking like this.

This morning, I weighted 236lbs. I'm 5'9", 40 years old. I am obese. I REFUSE to stay that way.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:52 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up congrats on starting this journey

i know how you feel as two pregnancies put me over my limit as well. between the two (both 9+ pound babies) i gained 50 lbs. and its just continues to pile on. stick with it, it will be hard but i'm sure rewarding in the end. fitday told me my goal was too much too but that just motivates me more!!
Old 01-06-2012, 10:56 AM
FitDay Member

First, congratulations on the birth of your baby! Second, welcome aboard! I just read an incredibly inspiring post by pixiedust in the share your success forum. It's a great read if you haven't seen it yet. You will find lots of support and great tools on Fitday.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:58 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks.

There IS legitimate cause to avoid losing too fast. (Your liver processes the fat, and too much can be a strain.) Still -- I"m aiming for 2.4 lbs per week instead of 2.0. I'm not gonna sweat that little of a difference. =P

Oh -- and here's an update: I'd put off starting Atkins because this paycheck was a bit tight (son's B-day present was STEEP), and I didn't have the $$ to buy the extra foods for "just me" when I'm on Atkins (the nuts & other stuff that I use to snack on).

Well, my workout-friend didn't feel this was a good excuse. She slipped me $40 with the promise I ONLY use it to buy the foods I need to do Atkins.

Guess I better get to the store....
Old 01-06-2012, 11:00 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Built
First, congratulations on the birth of your baby!
My "baby" is 4.5 now... She's part of how I got this way, but she's not an excuse for still BEING this way.

(Thank you, though! Those 2 kids mean the world to me.)
Old 01-11-2012, 03:41 AM
FitDay Member

Stepped on thescale to find I'm down 6 lbs this morning!
Old 01-11-2012, 04:01 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome to the forum! There is a lot of support here and I am glad to hear you have a workout friend. She sounds great!

I just wanted to touch on this comment you made...
Finally, I looked in he mirror the other day and was utterly disgusted by what I saw. I do not see how my husband can bear to have sex with me. I am revolting.
You and your husband must still be having sex if you made this comment. If he is anything like mine, he does not prefer you to be heavy but he loves you for who you are. I would ask mine in the past if I should lose weight and he would just say that I would be healthier if I did. He did not see me as a obese disgusting person that I saw (still see sometimes) in the mirror. He loves the fact that I am working so hard to lose the weight and he really appreciates the new figure that is emerging. And while I could say that we have a very active sex life...we always did even when I weighed over 350lbs. I hope that your self-image improves while you are on this journey.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:50 PM
FitDay Member

So here I am, almost 3 months later, and down almost 20 lbs. (Probably will be 20 by morning.)

I had a lot of "stuff" come up and get in my way -- mostly with the exercise portion of things, but occasionally with what I ate. So I'm NOT going to make my interim goal.

But you know what I noticed? Even with all those issues, I've lost 20 lbs in 3 months... First time I was on Atkins, I lost 40 lbs in 6 months. So I must be doing something right.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:26 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hey

This is officially my first post on any of these boards, even though I've been "around" since mid Dec 2011.

But I read you post and just needed to respond. You go girl! Stay strong. Even though you may not make your original goal, you are still losing and that's the point.