Help me get my eating in order? >

Help me get my eating in order?

Community
Notices

Help me get my eating in order?

Old 01-02-2012, 01:32 PM
FitDay Member

Default Help me get my eating in order?

I have a terrible eating pattern, or at-least I feel it is. Let me walk you through my eating habits, I'm a student at university who's at home at the minute for Christmas. When I'm at home my meals consist of either Mashed Potatoes, Baked Potatoes or Oven Chips (My mum isn't exactly a cook lol).

When I'm away at uni I usually cook myself either noodles or oven chips (Actually cooking doesn't run in my family).

For breakfast I usually have a Ham sandwich on white bread and I usually have a cup of tea about 11PM.

That's about everything I eat in the day. Although I usually go to bed around 4AM and get up around 1PM (at-least at the moment I do).

Any idea how I could get my eating in order and perhaps my sleeping as well?

I also try to spend about an hour a day on a dodgy old exercising bike we own or I go to the gym when I'm on campus. I do Computer Science and so I spent 90% of my time sitting in-front of a PC getting no exercise.

General advice, tips and opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:43 PM
FitDay Member

Welcome to FitDay.

I'm going to tell you straight up. Look around, read a lot (there's a lot here, including the FitDay articles) and ask specific questions when you have them. But asking people for general advice on how to get your "eating in order" needs to come from you. If you're serious about your health goal you need to take personal responsibility and do some things on your own first. Take the necessary first steps. We've all been there.

Of course, others may jump in and decide to give you a lot of advice with this, your first post. This is just my opinion. Consider it a challenge if you'd like.

Check out the link below to get you started. Everything you need to know to get started on your own personal journey of fitness is located in that thread. Then if you decide this is something you need to do, by all means use the tried and true FitDay tracking and get moving. You may just want to track your foods for a few weeks, not making any changes to your diet, just to get a handle on what's going on. Then you'll see for yourself what adjustments you need to make.

Best wishes.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:05 PM
FitDay Member

The food tracking on fitday is awesome. I really love the tab that shows vitamins/minerals. If I'm low on Vitamin D and Calcium I'll have some milk. Low on Vitamin C, I'll eat an orange. It's almost like a video game to me.

Sounds like you are eating a lot of carbs, not much protien and little to no vegetables and fruit.

If you track your food and hit all your vitamin/mineral goals, and keep it within calorie range you can't lose. Easier said than done of course.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:36 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by Magatame
I have a terrible eating pattern, or at-least I feel it is. Let me walk you through my eating habits, I'm a student at university who's at home at the minute for Christmas. When I'm at home my meals consist of either Mashed Potatoes, Baked Potatoes or Oven Chips (My mum isn't exactly a cook lol).

When I'm away at uni I usually cook myself either noodles or oven chips (Actually cooking doesn't run in my family).

For breakfast I usually have a Ham sandwich on white bread and I usually have a cup of tea about 11PM.

That's about everything I eat in the day. Although I usually go to bed around 4AM and get up around 1PM (at-least at the moment I do).

Any idea how I could get my eating in order and perhaps my sleeping as well?

I also try to spend about an hour a day on a dodgy old exercising bike we own or I go to the gym when I'm on campus. I do Computer Science and so I spent 90% of my time sitting in-front of a PC getting no exercise.

General advice, tips and opinions are greatly appreciated.

Hi Megatame,
Since you are already a student, you need to do a cram course in nutrition. There are a lot of books out there to help, and lots of web information. I would say, based on your description of your usual foods, you are pretty under (or miss) nourished.

First off, I strongly suggest you focus on increasing the veggies and fruits. Although it seems hard to do as a student (believe me I've been there) it really isn't. Most dining halls have fresh fruit and many stock something of a salad bar. Skip the white bread and just eat the ham with some tomato if you must. Or culture a taste for dense whole grain breads.

Lots of the members have had poor role models when it comes to foods, so many have had to learn for themselves proper nutrition. You must be smart if you are at university, so do a little extra-curricular study and find out what a healthy diet consists of.

There is a ton of support here...if you take advantage of it. So keep logging in, do your homework, and log all the foods you eat (good, bad or indifferent) and learn from the information you see. You are in the perfect position to take charge of your life... but only you can do that. However, we are all here to help.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:47 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the advice everyone, I've started using the tracker to track what I'm eating and see if I can get a good balance of fruit and veggies. Another week before I have to head back to University so hopefully I can make a good start before then.

Will need to stock up on groceries for moving back up anyway so I'll use that as an opportunity to stock up on healthy food and ditch the old unhealthy stuff.