FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   'ello! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/5976-ello.html)

edahlt 12-18-2011 07:27 AM

'ello!

Hey guys, I just joined FitDay yesterday and am pretty excited about using it and slimming down. I've always known that I do best on diets when I write down everything that I eat, but I usually just use an old notebook or something. For some reason, this feels like I have a lot more accountability--plus, of course, I get to track all sorts of lovely things and have graphs of it all. I'm a bit of a numbers nerd, so that's actually a huge motivator for me.
Accountability and motivation--that's why I'm bothering to introduce myself here at all. I'm not technically overweight (though my BMI is inching ever closer towards that), so it's very easy for me to say to myself, "oh, well, it's not that bad," and very hard for me to find support in the people around me ("No! You don't need to lose weight! That's silly! That's just the dancer in you talking.") I hope that by integrating myself into this community, if nothing else, I'll be shamed into sticking with my weight loss goals.
That being said, I feel like I need to justify why I'm on FitDay. I'm just shy of 5'4" and weigh 140 lbs--the most I have in my life, and about ten pounds of that gained in the last eight months. I've been a dancer most of my life and now, at 19, as a sophomore in college (studying physics, actually), I've been seriously contemplating adding dance as a second major and attempting to pursue it. However, I know that I don't have anywhere near the body for it--I'm not talking about trying to get the so-skinny-you'd-think-they're-anorexic ballerina body, but I do need to be slimmer if this is something that I want to go for. So my ultimate goal is to lose 25 pounds by the time the company that I'm in goes to a dance festival full of potential choreographers and employers. This is in about 15 1/2 weeks, which leaves me trying to lose about 1.8
lbs/week. I think this is perfectly doable, but I have a hard time focusing on weight loss, especially when academics demand so much attention, so I'm hoping that FitDay will keep me on track.

Well. Now that I've written you all a novel, I shall be off to explore the rest of the forums.
Best wishes,
--Torre

fit4luv 12-18-2011 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by edahlt (Post 65326)
I hope that by integrating myself into this community, if nothing else, I'll be shamed into sticking with my weight loss goals.
That being said, I feel like I need to justify why I'm on FitDay. Best wishes,
--Torre

Welcome Toree -- I myself am very new here. Just joined in this week. I'm really liking this community so far.

I really hope that you can be encouraged to follow through with your weight loss goals rather than be shamed. It sounds as if you have great motivation to keep at it -- I really wish you the best with that.

Being that there is more to fitness such as muscle tone and a great combination of nutrient intake, I think that this community is great for those goals as well as losing weight.

So ... with weight loss and other healthy goals you may have, Go for it & please share your progress -- I'll be watching for your posts!

Mike and others are welcomed to comment on what I said here & can speak as to if I'm on target with what I said here.

Minitwist18 12-26-2011 03:02 PM

Hi Tore!
I wanted to introduce myself. Reading your post, it seems like we are in similar situations. I have about 20ish pounds to lose as well. My family is always on me about not needing to lose any weight, but its more about how I feel than how I look. I'm 26, so a little bit older than you, but if you are interested in someone to bounce motivation off of, or even check in with, I'm around.
Best Wishes,
Anna

edahlt 12-27-2011 03:16 AM

Hey Anna,
Welcome to FitDay! If you're looking for motivation, you should head over to the Women's Section and check out the 7-day Motivational Thread that starts each Monday.
Other than that, yeah, I'd definitely be up for teaming up to stay motivated and have someone to check in with. :) I know all weight loss is difficult, but when you have (relatively) little to lose, you get the added bonus of trying to justify yourself to your friends and family. Remembering why you started this journey is important, and FitDay is definitely great for that.
Welcome aboard!