FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   My Journey to the Alter (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/5896-my-journey-alter.html)

Stumpotamous 12-08-2011 12:20 PM

My Journey to the Alter

I am amazed at some of the stories I have read on this site. It gives me a positive outlook that with a little discipline and determination, I can make it to my weight loss goal.

I'm currently engaged and have a little over seven months until my wedding. I have always wanted to lose some weight, but the pressure from everyone in my family has led me to believe I was at a healthy weight. I come from an overweight family and have always been the odd one out because of my size.

Over the course of the last couple weeks, I have realized that even though my family may look at me as being healthy, I am overweight for my age and height. I need to stop giving in to their pressure and do what I think is best for me. And getting myself to a healthy weight and giving my body the energy that it needs, is my first goal.

mecompco 12-08-2011 08:27 PM

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you've got a great goal and something to help keep you motivated. Let us know how you're progresses goes.

Regards,
Michael

1fitchallenge 12-13-2011 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Stumpotamous (Post 64562)
I'm currently engaged and have a little over seven months until my wedding.

Great deadline :) = may be very motivating
Mine is end of may cause this is when good weather starts => going to the beach etc. :cool:
and also because 6months is pretty long to change something...

So i think that yours 7months is also a very good period of time to change your body inside and outside. And having any deadline is generally a good thing.

So what's your plan Stumpotamous? Diet, cardio, meditation, aerobics, weights, healthy eating, other?

Best regards and good luck!
Rokku

edahlt 12-18-2011 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Stumpotamous (Post 64562)
I have always wanted to lose some weight, but the pressure from everyone in my family has led me to believe I was at a healthy weight. I come from an overweight family and have always been the odd one out because of my size.

I'm a newbie here myself, so not sure how qualified I am to reply to these posts, but just wanted to say that that ^ really hit home for me.
I also come from a family where most people on both sides are either on the upper end of their "healthy weight range" or overweight/obese, so getting them to understand why I want to lose weight has been difficult, and I've often been told that I'm absolutely fine because, well, by comparison, it was true.
Don't let them detract from your commitment to yourself. YOU know why you want to lose weight, and YOU know what is a healthy weight range for your height. And, hey, maybe you'll inspire someone else to join your journey to good health and fitness, eh? Best of luck!

fit4luv 12-18-2011 12:49 PM

Welcome!

As a new one around here -- A big welcome to you.

What a motivating goal! A lot of good can happen in 7 months!!! I just want to reach out & support you in your goals.

Best wishes,
Luv