Notices

I've started with an apple today

Old 10-18-2011, 01:58 AM
FitDay Member

Default I've started with an apple today

Hi all:
Scared to death at 268 and 41 years old-never thought I'd reach this weight. I love huge portions essentially at night, avoid exercise and watch my Son during the day which creates stress. My Doctor cleared me for 4 40min treadmill sessions a week but it kicks my arse since I'm so out of shape. I hope to succeed this time around. I love the tools here and think it can help me overcome my health problems. Thanks for reading this, Jeff (not Hahns)
Old 10-18-2011, 02:19 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome to FitDay!

Originally Posted by HahnsHan
My Doctor cleared me for 4 40min treadmill sessions a week but it kicks my arse since I'm so out of shape.

Well, it sounds like you should go easier. Listen, I used to be in really top shape. I've biked and run almost all my life, and backpacking in the mountains for a week was nothing. Then for the last decade I became sedentary (I'll use the excuse that my job stressed me out and I didn't care). So when I got 30 pounds overweight and got a wake up call, I was just as out of shape and overweight as anybody carrying bigger numbers. So here's my advice when it comes to exercise...

Don't knock yourself out at first! Try to take it very, very easy and gradually work up to more and more. If your feeling totally exhausted, your doing too much. If you're feeling so sore you can hardly walk, you're doing too much. If you're not recovering from your workouts relatively quickly, you're doing too much. When I got back into it, I pretended (in my own mind) tha I just had a heart operation and the doctor told me to take it easy. It's true. But now, 3 months later, I'm not just exercising, I'm training, doing 2 hours of hard mountain biking at a clip. And I don't feel tired after a workout any more.

Bottom line: listen to your body!

If you do too much to quickly, you not only lose your desire to continue but you will injure yourself, and that alone will throw a monkey wrench into the whole operation.

I wish you much success.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:05 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome Jeff!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:44 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by wildbeanerz
Welcome Jeff!
Thanks! It feels very good to be here!
Old 10-18-2011, 03:48 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by VitoVino

Welcome to FitDay!

Well, it sounds like you should go easier. Listen, I used to be in really top shape. I've biked and run almost all my life, and backpacking in the mountains for a week was nothing. Then for the last decade I became sedentary (I'll use the excuse that my job stressed me out and I didn't care). So when I got 30 pounds overweight and got a wake up call, I was just as out of shape and overweight as anybody carrying bigger numbers. So here's my advice when it comes to exercise...

Don't knock yourself out at first! Try to take it very, very easy and gradually work up to more and more. If your feeling totally exhausted, your doing too much. If you're feeling so sore you can hardly walk, you're doing too much. If you're not recovering from your workouts relatively quickly, you're doing too much. When I got back into it, I pretended (in my own mind) tha I just had a heart operation and the doctor told me to take it easy. It's true. But now, 3 months later, I'm not just exercising, I'm training, doing 2 hours of hard mountain biking at a clip. And I don't feel tired after a workout any more.

Bottom line: listen to your body!

If you do too much to quickly, you not only lose your desire to continue but you will injure yourself, and that alone will throw a monkey wrench into the whole operation.

I wish you much success.
Vito:
I'm really liking what you've shared and I totally appreciate the kind words. I too biked and lifted weights years ago-that's why I always was overweight yet carried it well. That caught up to me in my late thirties. Three years ago I was around 218 or so and over exercised to the point of not returning any time soon. Thanks for the warning-think I'll go for a nice walk with my son today!! Have a great day, Jeff