Hi From Fat In Vermont >

Hi From Fat In Vermont

Community
Notices

Hi From Fat In Vermont

Old 08-18-2011, 08:28 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hi From Fat In Vermont

What follows is my first journal entry. It is a way of letting you all know who I am and where I've been and am going. I hope with a lot of help along the way.

So this is me making a commitment to myself again. I started this journey back in 2001, ten years ago. At that time I had a son in the sixth grade and was topping the scale at 248 pounds. I hadn't dressed in front of a mirror in years. I'm not going to lie and say those pound just dropped off, it took a lot of starting and stopping, but by the time that son was a freshmen in highschool I was at my goal weight of 165 pounds.

I stayed at that weight within a pound or two for four years. It wasn't as hard as you might think really. I was watched what I ate and walked a lot. Then I let the creep begin. A good friend who had cheered me on died. My son graduated and we moved to house that wasn't so easy to walk from. We got a dog, who made my route planning more compliacted. My son went to college where he played football for four yeas and I never missed a game, but that meant lots of traveling. I went back to school which meant lots of late nights. There are a ton of reasons I let myself back slide. So here I am ten years latter, and still 40 pounds lighters, which I still consider a good job, but 40 pounds heavier then I want to be.

I've set a goal for myself to loose about a pound a week, but I know that's not my real goal. I just want to find myself lighter at this time next year, then I am today. And I want to say that each year for the rest of my life. I want to feel good. I want to play with my grandchildren, which that son may soon be giving me, as he got married two weeks ago. So here I am again. At least this time I know it can be done.

Last edited by fat_in_vt; 08-18-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to FitDay! I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Good luck on staying focused to dropping the 40 pounds! I just have one question, how did your dog make the route planning complicated?
Old 08-18-2011, 09:21 AM
FitDay Member

Wow! It sounds like you raised a great kid. And going back to school is a real accomplishment. You have had a lot of postives in your life over the last 10 years. You can definitely do this, considering all that you have done. And you've done it before.

Good luck and stay positive with yourself. You know what you need to do just like you did with your son and school.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 PM
FitDay Member

Mike having a dog means that you have to think about if your going to be walking by a house with another dog who may come running out after your dog, it means not walking along certain roads because of heavy traffic. You'd be surprised how much easier it is to plan a route, when your only walking yourself.

Thank you for welcoming me. I hope to help others and work my to a lesser person.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by fat_in_vt
Mike having a dog means that you have to think about if your going to be walking by a house with another dog who may come running out after your dog, it means not walking along certain roads because of heavy traffic. You'd be surprised how much easier it is to plan a route, when your only walking yourself.

Thank you for welcoming me. I hope to help others and work my to a lesser person.
Gotcha, I have a dog and I know what it's like having another dog come after you but if it becomes an issue to walk with your dog, why not just leave the dog home and walk alone? It ticks me off when someone is dumb enough to leave an aggressive dog (or any dog) to roam free in a neighborhood. I think the owner should be shot and the dog should be picked up. But that's just me.

Like rmdaly said, you already know what to do, you've done it before. Good luck.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 08-18-2011 at 02:10 PM.