Notices

No Excuses

Old 08-23-2011, 03:40 PM
FitDay Member

Smile No Excuses

Hey everyone,

So, I've been hanging around Fitday for about 6 weeks now, and it seems like its time to say hi. I started on July 13th at 241 pounds, and as of this morning I was 222 - just 2 away from my first goal of 220, which I was planning to reach by the end of September - now I'm hoping to be at 210 by then, a weight I haven't been since about 2003. I have a work trip at the start of October where I'll meet some colleagues and friends I haven't seen for a while, and that's given me a great target to aim for - I'd really like to not be 'the fat guy' this time.

So, my motto has been no excuses while I've been losing this weight - I've been letting myself off with bad exercise and diet habits for years, and something just snapped in me around the middle of July. I've started eating much more healthily, and I've done at least half an hour's exercise every single day since I started - my calorie intake is around 2000/day (with a lot of protein), and I'm making sure I burn at least 3000. When it's been difficult, I've said no excuses, and pushed through it: last week the cafeteria at work had a 'build your own sausage sandwich bar', and I managed to walk past it and get a salad. Never mind the exercise, that was really tough!

Fitday has really made a difference too - keeping track of everything I'm eating and doing really appeals to the obsessive compulsive in me. Also, reading the great success stories on these forums has helped me realise that it really is possible to lose this weight. Some of your stories are amazing, thank you for sharing them.

I bought some jeans this last weekend - the first time in about 12 years that the size has gone down rather than up. I was really surprised by how good that felt, and I can't wait to do it again. Onwards and downwards!

Mike
Old 08-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Mike, welcome to FitDay. I'm glad you've had some successes; congrats on your hard work. The forums are an excellent place to hang out and get support, motivation, or a good old kick in pants. Join in anywhere and be sure to ask for what you need. Looking forward to seeing you around .
Old 08-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mike, welcome to FitDay and thanks for sharing your story. It sounds like you are definitely headed in the right direction. Reaching goals ahead schedule is an awesome feeling, just as buying smaller clothes is. Like Cassie said, I look forward to seeing you around.

I believe that excuses is what will help us either get or stay fat. Once we drop the excuses and accept responsibility, we can move forward!

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 08-23-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Great work so far, Mike, keep it up! It's just great when the switch in your brain, for whatever reason, switches "ON". I agree for the obsessive/compulsive among us (myself included) logging everything is such a big help. Really, using FitDay is the only way I've ever had more than fleeting success with weight loss.

Regards,
Michael
Old 08-24-2011, 01:36 AM
FitDay Member

Congrats on your success so far!!! It's a great feeling to buy smaller clothes. What is your ultimate goal weight?
Old 08-24-2011, 10:10 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone, it's nice to feel welcome.

I guess my ultimate goal weight is somewhere around 180 pounds, although anything under 200 would be terrific. I like to play soccer, but I haven't had many opportunities for a few years because of work. When I have played my weight has meant I'm completely useless, and my knees have been completely crippled afterwards. Over the last month I've found a regular weekly game I can get to, and the improvement in my ability to play as the weight comes off has been fantastic - I'm active for the whole match now, instead of being wiped out after 15 minutes. The regular exercise I'm doing the rest of the week has also had a huge effect on my knees - instead of being unable to walk the next day, I'm now just a little stiff and sore, which tends to go away when I get down to my cardio for the day. Being able to play again is just the best feeling - I'm looking forward to it all week long these days
Old 08-24-2011, 12:08 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Whatang
Being able to play again is just the best feeling - I'm looking forward to it all week long these days
Finding a workout you LOVE is a great way to make this a lifestyle change permanent. Congratulations, that's in and of itself is cause to celebrate!
Old 08-25-2011, 03:44 AM
FitDay Member

Sounds like you are well on your way! I just wanted to say Welcome!! Feel free to jump in any conversation and make yourself at home.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:40 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Mike, My name is Cherish and I just read your post. Im new here so I was just going thru the "newbies and just wanted to say congrats on your weight loss thus far thats awesome, reading your post has given me some hope. thank you!!