Notices

Hello Everyone

Old 02-22-2010, 05:35 PM
FitDay Member

Smile Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone!

I am kinda new here. I say "kinda" because I have used FitDay in the past to lose 70 pouns, then along with the stresses of life and a couple surgeries I got away from my healthier lifestyle choices and regressed back to what I know best, and what I find comforting. However, when I used FitDay in the past there were no forums. So this part is new for sure.

I really want to lose the 20 pounds I gained back, plus about 50 more! I cannot do this on my own. I need help, and support. I am excited to say that yesterday I went on, an albeit short, bike ride, and tonight I went to an Aquacize class. I have a couple friends in the class so I know I will go back. I am just so scared that this time it won't work.

My Fibromyalgia is flared up, and this makes things difficult. I noticed a thread regarding Hypothyroidism. I, too, suffer from an very underactive thyroid. The normal range is 0.38-5.5 and mine is currently 91.3!~ And evidently my cholesterol is high as well. {Does anyone know anything about lowering cholesterol? Mine has never been high before}

Anyway, I just really wanted to introduce myself and tell you a little about my journey.

I hope that everyone had a lovely day!!

Better Days~

Last edited by Sveva; 02-22-2010 at 07:59 PM. Reason: typos
Old 02-22-2010, 08:21 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Sveva
Hello Everyone!

I am kinda new here. I say "kinda" because I have used FitDay in the past to lose 70 pouns, then along with the stresses of life and a couple surgeries I got away from my healthier lifestyle choices and regressed back to what I know best, and what I find comforting. However, when I used FitDay in the past there were no forums. So this part is new for sure.

I really want to lose the 20 pounds I gained back, plus about 50 more! I cannot do this on my own. I need help, and support. I am excited to say that yesterday I went on, an albeit short, bike ride, and tonight I went to an Aquacize class. I have a couple friends in the class so I know I will go back. I am just so scared that this time it won't work.

My Fibromyalgia is flared up, and this makes things difficult. I noticed a thread regarding Hypothyroidism. I, too, suffer from an very underactive thyroid. The normal range is 0.38-5.5 and mine is currently 91.3!~ And evidently my cholesterol is high as well. {Does anyone know anything about lowering cholesterol? Mine has never been high before}

Anyway, I just really wanted to introduce myself and tell you a little about my journey.

I hope that everyone had a lovely day!!

Better Days~

Svenva Hi, welcome! , You will not valen because now you also support the forum. I must honestly say that the people on this forum really motivate me to still continue and that everyone there a problem with that so I'm not ashamed to have to if it is a little less time. I have some things for you to a decrease chorelesterol perhaps you something. You can also request the doctor a dietitian? That looks to your daily diet to see what the risk is less, the food.

Cereals: Cereals contain very little fat (about 3%) and most unsaturated fat. Moreover, grain quickly feel full and contain many fibers. A cholesterol lowering diet based on cereals and cereal products.

Fruit and vegetables: Fruit and vegetables contain very minor amounts of fat, the majority of which is unsaturated. A healthy diet is rich in fruit and vegetables. But you already knew this, right?

Dairy products: milk products are very varied and you must watch what kind you eat dairy products. Cream is a milk product, but contains much fat. Based products are relatively high milk fat, which in most cases is saturated fat. Dairy products are the main source of calcium, so they you can not delete your diet. Because of your high cholesterol, your best skimmed milk.

Meat and poultry: meat is pretty much in saturated fat, while some birds (such as chicken and turkey) are relatively low in fat. Other poultry (duck, goose) are more fatter. You can reduce fat by removing skin from poultry

Fish and seafood: fish is a special case. Oily fish (salmon, herring, mackerel) contain much fat ... but these fish are from the cholesterol position, ideal for food. They in fact contain much omega-3 fats, which increase the risk of cardiovascular disease reduction.

Fats and oils: butter, olive oil, fats in meat and fish are all fat, but have a different effect on the body, and thus on the cholesterol level. Saturated fats should you absolutely limit, while the unsaturated species a positive impact on your body. You may notice that a cholesterol-lowering diet has many similarities with a remarkably healthy diet that is recommended by various bodies. Coincidence? Probably not: a balanced, healthy diet leads to a healthy cholesterol levels and also to an ideal weight.

. All fats are a combination of fatty acids. A fat or oil is divided into 3 categories, depending on what type of grease or oil is the best present: Saturated fats such as butter, at room temperature to solidify. These fats are harder the more it cooled. Usually, these fats of animal origin, such as fat in pork, beef, poultry,
Saturated fats such as butter, at room temperature to solidify. These fats are harder the more it cooled. Usually, these fats of animal origin, such as fat in pork, beef, poultry, unsaturated fats are liquid at room temperature and comes mostly from vegetable products. Unsaturated fats are further subdivided:Mono-unsaturated fats are liquid at room temperature, but are thicker when cooled. Examples are olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, ... Poly-unsaturated fats are liquid at room temperature and remain liquid even when refrigerated. Examples are corn oil, soybean oil, safflower oil, cotton seed oil, but the fats in oily fish.

You probably have already heard of omega-3, omega-6 and omega-9 fatty acids. These fatty acids are essential fatty acids because they ... are essential for your body. A short review:
Omega-3 fatty acids are a form of poly-unsaturated fatty acids. Like the other poly-unsaturated fatty acids, these fats important for good health. These fats are mainly found in fatty fish like salmon, mackerel and herring.

Omega-6 fatty acids are also among the group of poly-unsaturated fats. Unlike the "bad" fats such as cholesterol and saturated fat, omega-6 fats are beneficial to your body. These fats are found mainly in cereals, eggs, poultry, most vegetable oils and wholemeal bread.

Omega-9 fatty acids are not really essential fatty acids because these fatty acids in the body itself can create limited quantities. In the body, this fatty acid to cholesterol deposits in the arteries to remove the blood balanced and the immune system to maintain.

good luck
Old 02-23-2010, 05:19 PM
FitDay Member

Hi there monnikjuh!

Thanks so much for all the info! I never really knew the difference between saturated, unsaturated, polyunsaturated, etc. I am really looking forward to getting back on the same track I was on when I had experienced significant weight loss in the past, and now with this new information you just gave me, I am better equipped, so Thanks so much!
Old 02-24-2010, 07:15 AM
FitDay Member

Default Welcome

Hi there Sveva! I'm so glad that you're here and back on track and also that you lost so much already! WTG Especially with Fibro & hypothyroid (I have both, too) you've done a great job~Kudos!
I know that fear, that feeling of being scared of it not working this time. But even if it takes more effort, we CAN and we ARE doing it this time!! For me it's that the older I get the more effort it takes to lose weight. But now I look at it like this, my body can't help but get healthier if I eat right & exercise. The weight loss may be slower, but it is coming off and I try to stay focused on the healthy lifestyle part of this journey instead of obsessing about the weight loss part.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:38 AM
FitDay Member

Hi DesertMountain!

So you have FM and Thyroid too eh? It does make things more difficult for sure.
I am glad to hear that someone understands the fear I was talking about. The main thing, for me anyway, is to not let the fear paralyze you into not doing anything. {If you don't try you can't fail, kinda thing}.

So here's to a successful lifestyle change!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:09 AM
FitDay Member

So here's to a successful lifestyle change!
Thanks so much! Right back at you.
Yep, it's rough alright. I've been wanting to try Lyrica but I keep hearing about the weight gain it causes. Have you tried it or do you know anyone who has? I read that for some ppl it completely takes away all of the fatigue and pain but haven't met anyone who has had that kind of success with it. What a dream come true, but, dang it, I really struggle to lose each and every pound and just don't know about that kind of trade-off.
I tend to do things alternative/natural except for a small dose of Tramadol 20 minutes before I workout. It's a mild pain killer, stronger than aspirin, but doesn't make me feel spacey or high at all. It just takes the edge off for an hour or so. What kind of things do you do to overcome or cope with the pain from exercise? If you don't mind me asking. Again, I'm so impressed with your workouts!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:35 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by desertmountain
Thanks so much! Right back at you.
Yep, it's rough alright. I've been wanting to try Lyrica but I keep hearing about the weight gain it causes. Have you tried it or do you know anyone who has? I read that for some ppl it completely takes away all of the fatigue and pain but haven't met anyone who has had that kind of success with it. What a dream come true, but, dang it, I really struggle to lose each and every pound and just don't know about that kind of trade-off.
I tend to do things alternative/natural except for a small dose of Tramadol 20 minutes before I workout. It's a mild pain killer, stronger than aspirin, but doesn't make me feel spacey or high at all. It just takes the edge off for an hour or so. What kind of things do you do to overcome or cope with the pain from exercise? If you don't mind me asking. Again, I'm so impressed with your workouts!

Hey! I tried Lyrica and did not find it helped at all. I take a mild muscle relaxant, and pain medication, and Advil. Try to get as much rest as possible. I really enjoy being in the water so I think that is why I do the water aerobics. That and the no impact is good for the body. I hope that you can find something that you can do. I went on a bike ride the other day and my body did NOT enjoy that AT. ALL!
Old 02-26-2010, 09:01 AM
FitDay Member

I was so impressed when I read about your bike ride and that you have fibro. I figured you had really conditioned your body or had found some secret weapon LOL. Thanks for sharing what you do to keep so active.

I enjoy the water classes but they put so much chlorine in the pool (the only indoor pool nearby) that my eyes & nose were always burning and it would bleach out bathing suits in a week or so. It was scary how much they used so I gave it up after a few months. Or maybe it was just another excuse not to exercise I have lots of them that I try not to listen to.

I'm sorry to hear that Lyrica didn't help you, most of the ppl I know said the same thing or that they had a little relief from symptoms but that they also gained weight. Too bad they can't come up with something better for us but at least they're recognizing fibro now and trying to understand it.

Yes, sleep & rest are important for me, too. I've also found cutting down on, or eliminating, grains and refined sugar helps plus I take supplements and meditate (relaxes my muscles). Forcing myself to exercise helps and I just started working on trying to make it part of my daily routine. It sounds like you must have a lot of will-power or somehow stay very motivated to work out like you do. I'm impressed and it really motivates me to know that you do so much exercise.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:37 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you for all your kind words! I am not very motivated, nor am I overflowing with will-power. I have only started this week. I do know, though, from past experience, that once I start, if I don't do something each day to put into the exercise chart on FitDay, I will loose what will-power I have. The Aquacize classes do not run on the weekends, so I did not get there today. I did, however, spend a couple hours grocery shopping. According to the list of activities, it counts as exercise. I hope to go to the pool tomorrow to swim laps and find out about a drop in yoga class (I do not want to have to pay for the class when the cost of the yearly pass is so expensive )

I am sure that you will find something that jives with both your interest and ability. If I can, anyone can! (I did everything I could to avoid gym class when I was in school. The only 2 things I enjoyed were biking and swimming).

As for a medication for fibro, I really feel that they will not be able to come up with one that suits everyone where fibro is so individualized. I think it is a matter of finding what combination of medications work for the individual person. Good luck!

Cheers~
Old 02-27-2010, 02:53 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up 60 and motivated

Hey!
I'm 60 years old and, knock wood, in good health. I have arthritis because I have psoriasis, but otherwise, my doc is always surprised that I don't have the stuff associated with a person who needs to be 50 pounds smaller.

Well. I figure I can't walk on the edge forever and I'm not getting any younger - though I'm sure not the 60 my mom or grandma were. I decided, after a year of sitting on my ass in Mississippi where it's so hot you CAN'T be active, that this is my year. My husband and I moved back to Illinois. He ran into some health problems and lost his job because of it. I'm an independent magazine and newspaper writer, so my work load decreased drastically through the economic downturn - and I was scared about our situation. So food became my medicine.

January 2 I went back to the gym (I do water aerobics, too!) and reactivated what I know about nutrition. Dusted off the stationary bike and plan to walk when the weather warms up. My husband began freelancing (he's a programmer/designer) and has done better this last 8 months than he ever, ever did as an employee. I gave up writing for periodicals and focused on ghosting books for people - it's going wonderfully!

I can't say using food to cover emotional problems is a good idea - and my goal is to change my outlook so I can maintain a healthy relationship with food even when things go south - and I know they will...such is life.

I feel great - am looking forward to the second half of my life being healthier than the first. Nice to meet you all.

--mkp
WomenDaybyDay