Notices

Lets do this thing

Old 07-25-2011, 03:18 AM
FitDay Member

Default Lets do this thing

The tools are in place.
The determination is steel.
It’s about being able to strap a pack and climb a mountain next summer.
It’s about looking and feeling better.

Middle-aged, overweight, out of shape IT desk jockey whose inner child wants to do things the body can't handle right now.

That’s me and I have a very serious question.

As I prepared for this I gave most things a trial run to fine tune as much as I could. One of those was of coarse using the calorie tracking. Now, to meet my goal I need a calorie deficit of 1,000 a day. I mentioned I was out of shape and with my age, weight and fitness level I am taking exercise slow and building up gradually. I have started with morning walks of a mile at a good pace, Ti Chi exercise and will be using a weight machine a few nights a week for some light weight training.

I have really have had no problem cutting 1,000 calories with my current activity level I am not feeling faint, I am of coarse hungry but that is normal. I am concerned that 1300 to 1500 calories a day is not healthy. Please advise.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I did 1200-1400 calories for months to get to my goal with no ill effects, but I'm female, 5'2", and 43 years old. It's hard to say if it's healthy and do-able for you not knowing your stats.

However, one of our weight loss stars, Michael, sticks to 1500 calories a day, and he's had great success. Also, they say a 1-2 pound loss per week is safe and sustainable, and 1000 calories deficient will get you that. So my initial impression is to say give it a try, but be prepared to tweak it if you find it's not working for you.

Good luck!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:04 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the reply. Good to get feed back. I am in my mid 40s well upper mid I guess, not sure how that happened since I mostly think I am like 6

Good feedback and I will adjust as my activity level rises.

Thanks