Notices

In the beginning...

Old 07-23-2011, 01:02 PM
FitDay Member

Default In the beginning...

Hello everyone,

I am once again starting my journey. I have been on and off "diets" for a lot of years and had lost courage and hope that I could ever accomplish my goals. I'm not sure why...I guess many attempts and many set-backs which resulted in 10-15 lbs lost and then 20-30 gained with each attempt in the last 20 years.

I am now 38, and ashamed to say that I am morbidly obese at 319 lbs.; however, I've come to realize that I've been lacking self-confidence, self-efficacy, and the conviction to follow this through long-term.

At 31, I tried something new...I went back to school to see if I could fulfill my academic dreams, and at 36 I graduated with a Masters in Social Work, happily proving to myself that I could actually finish something I started. This change has yielded positive results for my family and myself and has given me a confidence I had never possessed before.

I've been thinking about this lately and decided that I need to allow myself the possibility that I can do this with other things in my life...specifically weight loss. I need to improve my health so that I can enjoy my life and my family to the fullest for many years to come--so here I am. Again, at the beginning of my journey.

I was fortunate enough to have been referred to a professional who has helped others in my agency to achieve good results and he referred me to this site, charging me with keeping a food journal for two weeks before we actually get together to assess where I stand. So here I am. Hopeful and excited for the first time in a long time. I feel I am really starting my journey towards achieving my goal of permanently changing my lifestyle and maintaining positive results over time, with patience and renewed determination.

Here's to a positive change in my overall health and well-being. I am looking forward to connecting with others who have had or are engaging in a similar journey. I need all the encouragement I can get, and will be happy to reciprocate.

GOOD HEALTH AND WELL-BEING!

Laura
Old 07-23-2011, 03:15 PM
FitDay Member

Default hi laura

Welcome. the path is well-worn and shared by us all
Glad you found us.
Look forward2 seeing u around!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:44 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Laura,
Welcome! It sounds like you have the right attitude. Attitude and a plan are the keys to success. Fitday is a great tool to use, and there are a lot of people here to support you - drop in often and let us know how you're doing!