FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   Another newbie (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/4654-another-newbie.html)

jesscornwell74 07-07-2011 01:11 AM

Another newbie

This is day three for me using Fitday. I love the pie chart, but it does intimidate me lol. Yesterday I struggled to keep my carbs lower and still ended the day at 51% carbs, Calories were 1300ish. Higher than the previous days on both accounts.

I am open to any ideas anyone has on how to succeed and look forward to dropping this weight for GOOD!

Thanks Jess

cjohnson728 07-07-2011 01:30 AM

Hi Jessica, welcome!

Since you'e just started, it may take some time to figure out what will work best for you. I don't know your current weight, height, or how much you want to lose, but IMO what you've posted is nothing to beat yourself up about! The deficit between what you eat and what you burn is more important than the number of calories you eat per day, and, again IMO, 51% is not anything to be concerned about, provided they're primarily complex carbs from fruit, veggies, and whole grains.

Another helpful trick is to look at the weekly report for your pie chart...that way if you blow it out of the water one day, it all evens out with the rest of the week!

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask. It's hard for me to respond to a general question on how to succeed, because what works is different for everybody. Post away in any thread that looks good to you and you'll get a ton of info and support :)

jesscornwell74 07-07-2011 01:53 AM

I guess all of that info would have helped huh? I am currently almost bck to my heaviest...I am at 220 lbs, my heaviest was 230. Sickening that I let it get so out of hand. I am 5'4" and right now I am focusing on 10 poubd increments. Total I would like to see myself get to 150 pounds, and maybe eventually 130ish (I haven't seen that weight since I was about 15). It makes me crazy just to see all of those numbers.

My biggest obstacle to overcome, other than my self-esteem issues, is breakfast. I have a variety of allergies and it just so happens one of those is one of the biggest protein sources.....eggs. So I am eating Fiber One 80 Calorie cereal for breakfast. Don't really care for it, but if it works right?

Thanks so much for your reply!

cjohnson728 07-07-2011 02:32 AM

Well, even being at your heaviest, you sound motivated to make some changes and have started to lose some; that's great! Right now, there is nowhere to go but down, right? Well, there is up, but we won't think about that option! What's done is done and it's forward we shall look.

I would think that where you are, you can get away with more than 1300 calories a day, but that's up to your personal preference. If you take a look at what FitDay says you burn in a day and compare that to what you eat in a day, you probably want to shoot for a deficit of 750-1000 calories a day; that will get you losing at a steady rate but also give you enough to eat so you're not chewing off an arm by 3 PM.

As far as the pie chart, all I can say is that it truly is different strokes for different folks. I do great at carbs 50-55 and keeping the fats and protein at 25-30, but others prefer a lower carb, higher protein approach, and still others keep the fat really, really low. So it usually takes some trial and error. I know it would be easier if someone could just hand you a manual with exactly what you need, but sadly that doesn't exist! Be patient with yourself; you'll get there.

I did some thinking after my last post and I can tell you some things that were helpful to me...feel free to take or leave. These are the things I did differently this time, and this time was the time that I lost the weight and have more or less maintained it:

1. Increased protein in my diet (usually 25%-30% daily).
2. Increased the healthy fats in my diet (usually around 25%; before, I was one of those people afraid to eat fat, and that didn't work).
3. Water, water, everywhere. One of our regulars, almeeker, says 64 oz. plus another 8 oz. (I think) for every 10 pounds you want to lose.
4. Adding strength training into my exercise routine.
5. Eating real food instead of processed stuff. Obviously not perfect all the time with this, but 80-90% of the time, yes.

As for the Fiber One 80 Calorie...I don't care for it much, either. I am religious about getting in fiber but this tastes too sweet and artificial. Kashi makes a lot of cereals that are relatively high in protein and fiber, especially the Go Lean. Peanut butter, almond butter, and cheese are also breakfast options with some protein. And there's no rule that says you can't have a chicken breast or tuna sandwich in the morning, if you can stomach it. Another idea might be a protein smoothie.

Okay, I've rambled on enough! If some of these work out for you, great; if not, move along. It's you that's writing your story, after all. May want to jump over to the Women's Corner thread and check out the Summertime Motivational Thread; that's a great group of folks, very knowledgeable and motivating. There is also a 100+ Pounds to Lose thread in the Weight Loss section, these came to mind but you can obviously post anywhere. Take care...have a great day!

jesscornwell74 07-07-2011 02:52 AM

Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU! I struggle with keeping myself motivated and your post has helped. Tonight when I get home or maybe today at lunch, I will jump over to the other threads and see what everyone else has to say, but I SOOOO appreciate your ideas and will give them a shot.

I told my sister last week that for a fat person (those were my exact words) I eat rather healthy, but unfortunately this past year was met with a medical problem that I am hoping has been finally knicked in the bud. (Chronic sinus infections coupled with MASSIVE doses of steroids). Last year at this time I was 30 pounds lighter and if I hadn't had to start fighting the infections and had started exercising I think I would have been well onto my goal, but I will conquer this time. :) I love my veggies and would chose them any day of the week over anything else (except for carrots ICK lol) and I end to eat a lot more fresh than processed. I do have my moments though as I am sure everyone does. I am really working to implement a lot of changes within myself on all sides. Exercising has always been one of my biggest downfalls, but I am working on that too. Yoga and treadmill want to join a gym but this will have to work for now. I didn't realize how tough yoga was though and have spent the last two days so sore, but it is a good sore.

Thanks again you don't know how much it means!

almeeker 07-07-2011 04:34 AM

Welcome aboard, fitday is a great tool. We have some things in common, I started out a little heavier than you, 244.6 pounds, but I've hovered in that 220-240 park for a long time. I also am allergic to eggs (although I tolerate the whites if fully cooked) and I used to suffer from chronic sinus infections. Speaking from personal experience, my health has been MUCH improved by a proper diet and a good bit of exercise. Since beginning this a year and a half ago I've had one sinus infection, which is about 4 fewer than a typical year.

I totally agree with Cassie that you have to wade through all the info and determine what works for your body, lifestyle and goals, I will also caution you may have to learn yourself all over again at lower weight. I've been struggling at my current weight for quite a while, my metabolism is much higher than it was at my heaviest, but now so is my appetite. How cruel is that? Anyway I just wanted to bop in and say that Cassie got my water advice written down spot on, it is really important for me personally, so I hammer that point home all the time. It also happens to help my joints feel better and helps to keep constipation to a minimum (as does a little flax seed meal). So welcome aboard and don't hesitate to ask questions.

And on the carrots, personally I love them, but you do need to get at least 3 servings of orange vegetables/week minimum. So how do you feel about sweet potatoes and squash?

Yoga is killer, the hardest, most painful workouts of my life have all included some yoga. Bob Harper has one called "Yoga for the Warrier", which is particularly good for tying yourself in knots. OY!! I was like "Are you serious?", "My leg sooooo does NOT do that".

Well I gotta go, DD is wanting the computer.

jesscornwell74 07-07-2011 06:05 AM

Nice to meet you! I have to say this is great to have advice right off the bat!

After about 7 sinus infections within one year (I personally think it was one very, VERY LONGGG one) I chose to have the sinus surgery and I feel AMAZING! The last major sinus infection sent me to the ER with a 104 temp and I decided then I was done. Of course I waited til I got the next one to inform the Dr, but it was a good decision for me.I have snored all my life but apparently I don't any longer. YAY!

I love, love squash and although I like sweet potatoes, I have this hang up, they are supposed to be mixed with brown sugar with marshmallows melted on top lol. I have tried sweet potato fries and those weren't pleasant to me but have never tried a baked sweet potato. Maybe I will put that on my next shopping list.

Water has always been easy for me to get in, but I admit since the surgery it has been a little harder. I always at least meet the 64 oz, but strive for 100+. Yesterday I met but didn't exceed the "recommended" and today isn't looking any better. I went off and left my special water bottle that I use to log how much I am drinking at home this morning. If left to drinking out of normal glasses I would never make it. I have filled a gallon jug here at work with water, but haven't touched it. Maybe I should use that today?

Before the awful sinus infection of this year I had managed to work up to where I was doing Zumba, Jillian Michaels 30 Day shred, or her Yoga Meltdown, and then walking/jogging at night. That last one did me in though and now I am trying to get back to where I was and above. I did Yoga Meltdown on Tuesday but last night for 10 minute Yoga on Netflix. It is broken down into 5 10 min sections and KICKED MY BUTT, but I did more than my 13 yr old daughter did lol. She couldn't keep up with her old Mom and she is a skinny minnie. I would like to do the yoga maybe in the mornings and the treadmill at night, but maybe I need to rethink that one huh? My treadmill is in the garage and it is like a suana in there right now, which I guess has its benefits right?

Thanks so very much to you both!!! It means a lot to have someone reply so quickly with advice.

almeeker 07-07-2011 11:36 AM

I make awesome sweet potatoes. I leave the skins on and rub them all over with olive oil, and bake in the oven for about an hour, more for large roots and less for smaller ones. Then let them cool until they can be touched, or toss them in the fridge for tomorrow night. The olive oil makes them easy to peel, most of it will come off with your fingers. Then dice or slice them up, toss them in a baking dish, spritz with a little spray butter, then drizzle just a little maple syrup over them (the real stuff, not the corn syrup flavored with maple), sprinkle on some dried cranberries and a handful of slivered almonds (or pecans), dust them lightly with cinnamon and cardamom and put them back in the oven to bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 and ta-da, Thanksgiving in July! I always make a huge batch of these and freeze the leftovers for a quick zap in the micro on a day when I do not have time for sweet potatoes, but crave them anyway. Trust me you will not miss the marshmallows or the brown sugar. Even my DH, who is not nuts about orange veggies, will eat these hot from the oven, warmed up in the micro, or ice cold standing in the glow of the refrigerator light.

jesscornwell74 07-07-2011 11:51 AM

Sounds Awesome! Will definitely have to give it a try next weekend. I started to plant sweet potatoes in my garden but didn't.