Notices

Every Day is Yesterday

Old 06-25-2011, 12:13 PM
FitDay Member

Default Every Day is Yesterday

I keep starting my diet "tomorrow" and tomorrow never comes, so I guess most days are "yesterday." I've tried to just change habits but it's getting harder all the time.

My office is around the corner from vending machines, which is a huge challenge and money waster. When I take snacks to work I wind up eating too much at my desk

Part of the challenge is that I'm reeeally not a morning person, and having sleep apnea doesn't help. I can come home for lunch, but sometimes I don't have time to do that and I wind up eating fast food. Naturally, if I'm having a crazy day I don't get the salad at Wendys or Burger King! I get something I can eat while I'm driving back to work.

I do have a few good habits, though. When I buy frozen meals I have a few rules that the meal has to meet: No dessert, has to weigh at least 12 ounces, have over 20 grams of protein, and under 400 calories. Meals that make the cut are usually pretty satisfying.

I have a trip coming up that will include a long plane ride, so my goal is to be a little more comfortable on the plane. That's about 3 months away, and my goal is to get from now (230 lbs) to then (200 lbs or less).

Anywho, *waves* I've been using the food, weight & exercise features here off and on for a few years. I didn't realize there was a forum too until today.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:58 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by amyedmonds
I keep starting my diet "tomorrow" and tomorrow never comes, so I guess most days are "yesterday." I've tried to just change habits but it's getting harder all the time.

My office is around the corner from vending machines, which is a huge challenge and money waster. When I take snacks to work I wind up eating too much at my desk

Part of the challenge is that I'm reeeally not a morning person, and having sleep apnea doesn't help. I can come home for lunch, but sometimes I don't have time to do that and I wind up eating fast food. Naturally, if I'm having a crazy day I don't get the salad at Wendys or Burger King! I get something I can eat while I'm driving back to work.

I do have a few good habits, though. When I buy frozen meals I have a few rules that the meal has to meet: No dessert, has to weigh at least 12 ounces, have over 20 grams of protein, and under 400 calories. Meals that make the cut are usually pretty satisfying.

I have a trip coming up that will include a long plane ride, so my goal is to be a little more comfortable on the plane. That's about 3 months away, and my goal is to get from now (230 lbs) to then (200 lbs or less).

Anywho, *waves* I've been using the food, weight & exercise features here off and on for a few years. I didn't realize there was a forum too until today.
Something that you might want to do for lunches is pack them the night before. Even if you eat a salad at Wendy's or Burger King, it's not as good for you as something you would make yourself. Although it is still a better option than getting french fries and a burger! I've always heard to stay away from frozen meals (even if they seem healthy). I always thought that I had no time to make myself meals, but I determined that it was just an excuse and I just wanted to be lazy. I actually like eating healthy as it makes me feel better. And with cooking you can add more or less of spices that you want.

Just some tips, you don't have to take my advice. I'm in the same boat as you and am at 237 and want to get down to 200 in a few months. I've been going to the gym every day but one and walking about 2.5 miles. I've dropped more than 10 lbs in a week (but that might be all water weight) and I know that it's not overly healthy to lose more than 2-4 lbs a week. If you need any support I'll be around .
Old 06-27-2011, 06:10 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you! I prefer boxed dinners at least for now, because of the portion control issue. You can't add "just a smidge" to a box and tell yourself it's the same quantity!

I have discovered a salad bar in a grocery store that's on the way home. When it's really hot and I'm tired I have started getting salads there. The only fast food on the way home is Arby's. Wendy's and BK are on the way when I'm doing lunchtime errands, but then.. I'm doing errands so I don't want a salad those times, though I could take it back to my desk.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:37 PM
FitDay Member

Does your work have a fridge that you can use? Could you bring in meals for the week on Monday or bring in salad stuff to create your own at work? You
could do all the prep on the weekend and just bring it all in on Monday morning.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:17 PM
FitDay Member

We have a fridge but everyone stuffs their entire cool packs into it rather than taking out their food and putting it into the fridge in the morning. Even if I could bring food for the week, it would get smooshed by all the big packs, and most people get there before I do. But since I can come home for lunch it's okay. I took a boxed breakfast in my own coldpack and it was still frozen when I had it for my break. Wal-Mart breakfast bowl -only 220 calories :-)