Notices

Question !!

Old 05-24-2011, 12:26 PM
FitDay Member

Default Question !!

I don't understand the whole calorie restriction/calorie eaten thing.

Under the category of "Calorie Balance", its says my calories restriction is 964, but the calories I can eat is 758.

If i am 'restricted' to 964 calories a day, doesn't that mean I can actually eat 964 calories per day??
Old 05-24-2011, 04:49 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Hi taylornewton

What was the weight loss goal you entered? If you are trying to loose more that 1 or 2 pounds per week, the calculator will give you an unreasonable low amount of calories that you can eat in a day.

If I read your post correctly, it looks like you are trying to lose about 5 lbs in a week. Thus the 964 calorie restriction. 1 pound is about 3500 calories. If that is the case and your daily requirement is about 2700 calories, then the calculator is saying, yes, you get to only eat aobut 758 calories a day, which is really not enough to keep you going.

You might want to do back and redo the calcs, exploring different weight loss options.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:35 AM
FitDay Member

If I understand right you are saying you burn 1722 calories a day and your weight loss goal has you at a calorie restriction of 964 and that only allows 758 calories you can eat ( 1722 - 964 = 758)? This would have you losing almost 2 pounds a week, which is good. Moderate loss (1 to 2 pounds per week) is a much healthier alternative to 'crash' diets where you starve yourself.

You can increase your activity/exercise to allow you to eat a reasonable amount, not be hungry all the time, and still acheive your deficit goal. If your metabolism is really 1722 per day then an intake of 1100 should be acheivable. 1722 - 1100 = 622 so that leave 342 calories that you need to burn through exercise.

If my assumptions are incorrect then just plug in your real numbers to get the correct answers. Hope this helps. Let us know if you have more questions.