Notices

New (old) user

Old 03-20-2011, 01:02 PM
FitDay Member

Default New (old) user

I've been a user before while I was on active duty in the USAF and dealing with weight issues. Had a nasty ankle injury that hampered my running and struggled with my weight for several years. Used Fitday to track my food/exercise with decent results.

I retired in Nov 2010 after 20 yrs and had hoped that by removing the stress of having to maintain a weight would help to stabilize my system...unfortunately it has...I don't exercise often enough (read: at all, really) and I don't watch what I eat like I should...

Which has sadly left me where I am...270 lbs at 5' 10" and in pretty bad shape. I've got to get serious about really fixing this system...both for monetary/clothing reasons (life insurance premiums go down with wt and I had to buy 46" pants yesterday) and the most important reasons: my wife and 4 kids.

This is going to be a pretty substantial shock when I reduce things I shouldn't eat/drink and start trying to get healthy again.

Wish me luck and sorry about the rambling...it's just the way I am.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:10 PM
FitDay Member

Hi there! I'm new too, but welcome (back)!
All I really want to say is good luck, and even though I'm not American, thanks for serving your country! /hug
Old 03-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome back to FitDay usafret2010! Thank you for 20 years of service for your country and fellow Americans!

Now it's time to take care of you. It is always hard to make changes but I'm sure you know how great you will feel once you do. Is your family on board for your healthy and fit lifestyle? Do you have a plan?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:15 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome to the forums and welcome back to FitDay (I'm a returning FitDay user myself from back in '01).

Right now you and I are at about the same place (though I'm here after 11 months of weight loss ).

What do you have in mind for an eating plan? Exercise?

1500 cals and walking has worked pretty well for me, thus far, plus drinking a lot of water.

Feel free to join us in the 100+ to Lose thread, if you like. We'll also be starting up a new Lose 10% of your Bodyweight by the Fourth of July when the current challenge ends on 4/1.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default Eating plan and exercise

I'm planning to start at 1800-2000 calories, as well as cutting out all regular soda...want to try to keep diet sodas down, but not sure I want to try to give up caffeine right at the start...will eventually, but small changes are easier.

Exercise will start out slow, but will probably ramp up to at least an hour of cardio fairly quickly. I like to ride my bike as well as the elliptical machine. I wouldn't mind getting back into a spin class, but I don't think the base where I am has one atm and paying for a gym membership when I get access for free isn't in the budget.

Basic cardio plus calisthenics (crunches, pushups, plyometrics)...just need to get my butt back to doing it...
Old 03-21-2011, 12:49 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Welcome back USAFret,
I would like to thank you for your service too.
It sounds like you have a good starter plan. I think you will find lots of ideas and suggestions from folks here.

There are a bunch of us that check in and out on the exercise issues so feel free to log progress or post questions in the exercise section. I have to admit to having a preference for emphasizing fitness over an idealized weight. I would rather see someone a bit over their ideal weight but out there riding a bike, running, or playing volleyball and basket ball, over someone model-slim but who can't make it up a flight of stairs.

And walking, riding your bike, and calisthenics doesn't cost much more that a pair of shoes and a decent pair or short/pant and tees, so great planning!

Looking forward to reading all about your progress over the next several months!