I'm new and Need your help in guiding me to be the NEW ME >

I'm new and Need your help in guiding me to be the NEW ME

Notices

I'm new and Need your help in guiding me to be the NEW ME

Old 03-15-2011, 08:00 PM
FitDay Member

Smile Eating out!!

Originally Posted by BabyBiscotti
Hello! I'm new here, too. What you ate doesn't sound that horrible to me, except maybe for the fried fish coating. (Was the special food you described Baba Gannouj?) I guess you could break down foods by ingredient, and by quantity in your food journal... Good Luck with your goal
Yes it was baba Gannouj, and that what I did, I broke down the ingredients (olive oil, eggplant and sesame sauce if I may call it), of course its a bit hard to quantify as I don't have scales in restaurants, and thats the eal problem I face when eating out!!!

Now how should I log my food in Fitday if I don't know that quantity??, I really don't know how to log in food that I eat in restaurants...any help?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:22 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by hananshz
Yes it was baba Gannouj, and that what I did, I broke down the ingredients (olive oil, eggplant and sesame sauce if I may call it), of course its a bit hard to quantify as I don't have scales in restaurants, and thats the eal problem I face when eating out!!!

Now how should I log my food in Fitday if I don't know that quantity??, I really don't know how to log in food that I eat in restaurants...any help?
You just take your best guess, really--what else can you do? If I know I'm going to get a big portion, I make sure to ask for a take-home container WITH the meal. I immediatly pack up half the meal so I can A) limit the calories, B) weigh/measure at home what I ate and C) have another meal.

Also, I prefer to eat at places that publish their nutritional info, which makes calorie tracking much easier.

If all else fails, you just eyeball the portions, try to guess (or ask) how it's prepared fat-wise and make your best WAG.

Regards,
Michael
Old 03-15-2011, 09:31 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
You just take your best guess, really--what else can you do? If I know I'm going to get a big portion, I make sure to ask for a take-home container WITH the meal. I immediatly pack up half the meal so I can A) limit the calories, B) weigh/measure at home what I ate and C) have another meal.

Also, I prefer to eat at places that publish their nutritional info, which makes calorie tracking much easier.

If all else fails, you just eyeball the portions, try to guess (or ask) how it's prepared fat-wise and make your best WAG.

Regards,
Michael
Thanks a lot, you gave me a great help...and I'm sure that I'll be in need for a lot more along the way...so please be there for me
Old 03-16-2011, 06:25 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
Welcome to FitDay and the forums.

I don't know that anyone can tell you "exactly" what to eat, but some guidelines I follow are:

No junk food.
Lots of lean protein.
No (few) simple carbs.
Lots of fruit and veggies.
A gallon/4 liters of water a day.

I keep my calories to 1500-1600 a day, on average.

I like to keep my calorie mix to a weekly average of 40 carbs/30 fat/30 protein.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Michael

PS If you are looking for an actual structured "diet", The Zone and South Beach would be my personal choices. Of course, there are a plethora of others and they all have their pros and cons.
Hi mecompco, I forgot to ask you how you keep the 40/30/30, by how many servings of each?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:19 PM
FitDay Member

hananshz,

I'm brand new at this but when logging I try imagining the portions in tspn/tablespoons. If you're bad at guessing oz., (as I am) you could also enter it as .125/.25/.5 of a cup, etc.

Super Moderator, thank you for mentioning the 40 carbs/30 fat/30 protein average.
Is it still bad if my fat % to be the highest of the ratio even if they are mostly good fats?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:21 PM
FitDay Member

Let me rephrase that: Is it bad for my fat % to be the highest of the ratio, even if they are mostly good fats?
Old 03-17-2011, 04:11 AM
FitDay Member

Hi BabyBiscotti, when I was talking about the 40/30/30 I was referring to Michael reply (up), and my question was how could he maintain the ratio, as still for my protein intake it is always low, and I don't know how to raise it, I concentrate more on vegetables as the advice of every one, but that means that the carbohidrates ration is more!!
Old 03-17-2011, 06:17 PM
FitDay Member

I started about the same time you did. I also need to lose 50 lbs. Personally I think you should not worry about weighing your food or stressing about if you ate a little too much. Any stress, even if worrying about food and eating, is still stress and is counterproductive. Have more veggies on your plate, drink water and enjoy what you eat. On the food journal, you can use a variety of measures. Estimate what you have eaten if you don't know the actual weight or use one of the alternate measures. Its pretty easy and thats the beauty of this system. LW
Old 03-17-2011, 08:11 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by hananshz
Hi BabyBiscotti, when I was talking about the 40/30/30 I was referring to Michael reply (up), and my question was how could he maintain the ratio, as still for my protein intake it is always low, and I don't know how to raise it, I concentrate more on vegetables as the advice of every one, but that means that the carbohidrates ration is more!!

Oh, I misunderstood.