Notices

45 down, 60 to go

Old 03-01-2011, 06:57 AM
FitDay Member

Default 45 down, 60 to go

Hello all. Just wanted to make a posting and say that I'm new to the site. A little background stats, I am a 38 year old male, 5'7, and last January weighed in at 262 lbs I work in a government office (state of Montana) and rarely get out exercising. Numerous conferences means numerous restaurants.

Anyway, last January the state started promoting a program called "Inch-by-Inch" at our hospital. It was 50 bucks, but you got the money back if you stayed in the program. It was 16 weeks of meeting an hour a week and the "diet" was unique for each person. For me, it was to not eat more than 1800 calories and 45 grams of fat per day. Exercise began at week 5 and was slow increments (60 minutes total for week, and then 90, until 150 per week) plus turning in a weekly food/exercise journal.

After a health issue in the summer requiring surgery, I got back on track. This morning I weighed in at 216 - still totally overweight, but moving in the right direction. Since I'm back on track from my surgery (after having gained about 15 pounds immediatly), I've lost 30 pounds since October 18, 2010 - and I even had a five week stall/plateau mixed in there since October.

So, I just wanted to post on here and let people know to keep their heads up. I don't really call it a diet because it's just normal eating for me now. Nothing fancy, and something that I can easily maintain throughout life. Common day of food for me is cereal in the morning. Grapes for a snack. Lunch is usually a salad or turkey sandwich with apples. Snack of a few almonds. And then dinner is typically some sort of chicken (can hardly handle red meat after gallbladder removal), potato, and veggie. Air popped popcorn for a snack. I never eat past 6:30 pm.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:07 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by javafate
Hello all. Just wanted to make a posting and say that I'm new to the site. A little background stats, I am a 38 year old male, 5'7, and last January weighed in at 262 lbs I work in a government office (state of Montana) and rarely get out exercising. Numerous conferences means numerous restaurants.

Anyway, last January the state started promoting a program called "Inch-by-Inch" at our hospital. It was 50 bucks, but you got the money back if you stayed in the program. It was 16 weeks of meeting an hour a week and the "diet" was unique for each person. For me, it was to not eat more than 1800 calories and 45 grams of fat per day. Exercise began at week 5 and was slow increments (60 minutes total for week, and then 90, until 150 per week) plus turning in a weekly food/exercise journal.

After a health issue in the summer requiring surgery, I got back on track. This morning I weighed in at 216 - still totally overweight, but moving in the right direction. Since I'm back on track from my surgery (after having gained about 15 pounds immediatly), I've lost 30 pounds since October 18, 2010 - and I even had a five week stall/plateau mixed in there since October.

So, I just wanted to post on here and let people know to keep their heads up. I don't really call it a diet because it's just normal eating for me now. Nothing fancy, and something that I can easily maintain throughout life. Common day of food for me is cereal in the morning. Grapes for a snack. Lunch is usually a salad or turkey sandwich with apples. Snack of a few almonds. And then dinner is typically some sort of chicken (can hardly handle red meat after gallbladder removal), potato, and veggie. Air popped popcorn for a snack. I never eat past 6:30 pm.
Welcome to the forums and thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like you've got a very reasonable and well-rounded eating plan. When you find something that works and is compatible with your lifestyle things work very nicely, indeed.

Keep up the good work!

Regards,
Michael