Notices

Firing up my Log

Old 01-12-2011, 01:53 PM
FitDay Member

Default Firing up my Log

Ok, first I'll introduce a few things since I've never posted here. I'm 5'8" and weigh a ridiculous 245 pounds. About 7 years ago (that long?! damn) I graduated weighing a very handsome 165. I did manage to maintain a solid 180 for the next 5 years. However, I got laid off 2 years ago and the job search, coupled with 2 pots of sugar laden coffee a day, took it's toll on my waistline. Now I'm in an office environment, instead of a physical intense career.

My solution is to go back to what I did in high school that worked for me, while adding in some supplements to boost it. I've already started and dropped 5 pounds, so looking for some critiquing on what I'm doing.

Diet:
Morning: oatmeal or Beverly International Ultimate Protein Shake
snack: glass of V8
lunch: lean protein, rice
workout after work (5:30 pm - 7 or 7:30pm)
Post workout: Beverly UMP
dinner: soup and/or protein as needed

Supplements:
before each meal: 1 Beverly 7-Keto & Lean Out, with 1 L-Carnitine (instead of taking multiple lean out's)
pre workout: 2 GNC 4x Muscle Igniter
Post Workout: 2 BCAA
Before bed: 3 ZMA

Workout: (mon, tues, wed, thurs now. adding sat/sun in future)
1 hour to 1.5 hour interval training (depending on energy level and free time) - split up 1/3 & 2/3 alternating between gazelle like machine and elliptical. typically burn 1100 calories.
After 1 hour:
Incline Bench: 5 sets of 8 reps
Bench: 5 sets 8 reps
Row: 5 sets 8 reps
Tricep Pulldown: 5 sets 15 reps

I know some people consider this overworking particular muscle groups, but I'm not putting on a ton of weight. I have had a lot of luck in the past with a similar routine, but I want to refine it to make it more efficient. Any thoughts/opinions are encouraged. I look forward to updating my log with the results.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to FitDay schlemoc!

It sounds like you have a plan and if that is what works for you then go for it!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:05 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks. Spent 2.5 hours at the gym today since I had to take a half day of work. Feeling pumped. I've dropped down considerably from 245 since I started this 2 weeks ago. Trying to burn up all the calories at the gym to equal close to my daily intake. It's been dropping me pretty solid. I've not even begun any supplements. If anyone has any suggestions on cardio/lifting routines let me know.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:03 PM
FitDay Member

If your plan is working then keep doing it. However, I would suggest some compound lifts like squats and deadlifts in addition to your upper body exercises.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:47 AM
FitDay Member

my cousin suggested squats/deadlifts as well. My problem with adding squats would be that I'm already blowing my legs out on cardio, so wouldn't squats just compound that?
Old 01-14-2011, 11:15 AM
FitDay Member

Um, you could do the squats first and then finish off on the cardio with whatever you have left, or shorten the cardio and hope you can do squats and take advantage of after burn.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

welcome to the site! I have a love hate relationship with squats, but they do work and that's what counts.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:06 AM
FitDay Member

I have to get on a routine of alternating weight training. I plan on cardio every day, just need to get a routine for lifting. I'll probably add squats to the afterwork out just to utilize the burn. my cousins routine is squat/bench/row, then the next day do squat/overhead press/deadlift at a 5 x 5 schedule.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:23 AM
FitDay Member

Overall, the routine your cousin suggested sound quality to me -- those "big" movements that utilize multiple major muscle groups will definitely give you the most bang for your buck. You should be lifting before doing any cardio -- again its a "bang fo your buck" kind of thing. If it were me, I'd also add a day of rest in between lifing sessions. Well rested, your muscles will repair themselves better, allowing you to get bigger and stronger faster. With that schedule, you could do cardio on the non-lifting days or you could do cardio and lifting on the same day and have the following day off entirely, maybe only doing some sort of light exercise (like a bike ride or an easy jog).
Old 01-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Smile

No matter how great your workout is, unless you know how much you're putting in your mouth (calories), you're going to be surprised when you don't lose weight. You'll be fit - but a very beefy type of 'fit' person - not having reduced the size of your body!

Just listing food or thinking about different foods being good can be misleading. Food has calories. That's what determines your weight loss.

If this plan works for you, then you know that you're burning more than your taking in. If it's not working for you, then adjust the amount your 'taking in' your mouth and continue working out. You'll see results.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.