Allergic To Exercising.. >

Allergic To Exercising..

Community
Notices

Allergic To Exercising..

Old 01-24-2011, 09:35 AM
FitDay Member

Default Allergic To Exercising..

Hi, I just joined today. I'm a college student and have gained probably about 20 pounds since I started due to some bad habits and also a condition I have called Cholinergic Urticaria. Basically whenever my body gets heated up (during exercise or taking showers) I break out into a huge burning rash, or hives. It lasts for about an hour after I finish working. It's really uncomfortable and it looks terrible, too. It's been really hard for me to gain the courage to start working out again due to the cholinergic reaction, but I finally saved up some money and bought a PS3 move. With the PS3 I can use workout videos in the privacy of my own home. That way I'm not at a gym suffering from a reaction, I'm in my own home.
Another obstacle in my weight loss journey is my lazy-ness. I'm terrible at cooking and hate doing it. I also hate going grocery shopping because buying for one person is kind of tough. I never know what to get. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

My plan is to workout daily with the PS3 using a 30 minute Get Fit by Mel program and I think I'm going to get a Zumba game as well.
I don't have a goal set in mind as of now, as I don't know how much I weigh. If I had to guess I would say around 145-150. I'm too scared to weigh myself. I'm going to base the weight loss off of how I feel and look. I wear a size 8 or 9 in jeans and would like to be a 4 at some point.
A few years ago I used a diet tracker and lost over 20 pounds but I did it only because I was being very unhealthy. The weight obviously doesn't stay off when you aren't doing it correctly.
Thanks for reading this!

Last edited by tonk0022; 01-24-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by tonk0022
Hi, I just joined today. I'm a college student and have gained probably about 20 pounds since I started due to some bad habits and also a condition I have called Cholinergic Urticaria. Basically whenever my body gets heated up (during exercise or taking showers) I break out into a huge burning rash, or hives. It lasts for about an hour after I finish working. It's really uncomfortable and it looks terrible, too. It's been really hard for me to gain the courage to start working out again due to the cholinergic reaction, but I finally saved up some money and bought a PS3 move. With the PS3 I can use workout videos in the privacy of my own home. That way I'm not at a gym suffering from a reaction, I'm in my own home.
Another obstacle in my weight loss journey is my lazy-ness. I'm terrible at cooking and hate doing it. I also hate going grocery shopping because buying for one person is kind of tough. I never know what to get. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

My plan is to workout daily with the PS3 using a 30 minute Get Fit by Mel program and I think I'm going to get a Zumba game as well.
I don't have a goal set in mind as of now, as I don't know how much I weigh. If I had to guess I would say around 145-150. I'm too scared to weigh myself. I'm going to base the weight loss off of how I feel and look. I wear a size 8 or 9 in jeans and would like to be a 4 at some point.
A few years ago I used a diet tracker and lost over 20 pounds but I did it only because I was being very unhealthy. The weight obviously doesn't stay off when you aren't doing it correctly.
Thanks for reading this!
Welcome to FitDay. As far as cooking, I'd suggest cooking big healthy meals and package them up for later use. This will save you time and money. It sounds like you've accepted some of the blame, which is good. Now you know what you need to change to get where you want to be. I know you are scared to step on the scale, but I'd do it just so you have a starting point. I do believe the mirror is the best way to tell the difference, but the scale will often show the smaller changes before the mirror does.

Again, welcome and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:05 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Welcome to FitDay. As far as cooking, I'd suggest cooking big healthy meals and package them up for later use. This will save you time and money. It sounds like you've accepted some of the blame, which is good. Now you know what you need to change to get where you want to be. I know you are scared to step on the scale, but I'd do it just so you have a starting point. I do believe the mirror is the best way to tell the difference, but the scale will often show the smaller changes before the mirror does.

Again, welcome and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks for your reply! Thanks for the cooking suggestion. I will look up some healthy recipes.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:27 PM
FitDay Member

When I saw the title of this post, I was like OMG, ME TOOO!!! But then I read it and you are actually serious, I'm just lazy. My mother has a weird condition, she doesn't sweat, so she has issues with overheating as well - she turns a strange shade of purple and her heart rate goes wild. So what she did was put a pool in her backyard. Okay, maybe that isn't viable for a student to do, but maybe you can find a gym with a pool, lap swim or water aerobics are both great workouts. Mom also loves to ice skate, which is a great workout but doesn't really over heat your body. Even if you go to a rink on the warmest day of the year, it's cold when you're on the ice.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:03 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
When I saw the title of this post, I was like OMG, ME TOOO!!! But then I read it and you are actually serious, I'm just lazy. My mother has a weird condition, she doesn't sweat, so she has issues with overheating as well - she turns a strange shade of purple and her heart rate goes wild. So what she did was put a pool in her backyard. Okay, maybe that isn't viable for a student to do, but maybe you can find a gym with a pool, lap swim or water aerobics are both great workouts. Mom also loves to ice skate, which is a great workout but doesn't really over heat your body. Even if you go to a rink on the warmest day of the year, it's cold when you're on the ice.
Oh, hypohydrosis. I'm thankful I don't have that. Thanks for your suggestions! I love swimming however it still makes me break out because if I'm actually swimming enough to burn calories my temperature goes up and I get super red and blotchy and burn. Swimming in 6th grade gym class was actually the first time I started having reactions. Ice skating sounds fun! Too bad I can barely skate without falling haha