FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   I'm new (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/3067-im-new.html)

VirusInside 01-19-2011 06:56 PM

I'm new

Hey guys.

I just registered so I thought I'd introduce myself. First a little background info. I'm 21 years old, and weigh in at over 350 pounds... wow, it hurt just typing that :( ... anyway I've been up and down the weight loss roller coaster my whole life. I lost a whole mess of weight in high school on Atkins, but have gained it all back plus a lot more to go along with it. I have high blood pressure, depression, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and take meds for each of them. I know my weight contributes significantly to all of it. I've tried countless strategies over these last few years, but it seems like for every pound I lose, I gain back 2 in it's place. I've tried low carb, low fat, fasting, calorie restriction, diet pills, HCG, meal replacements, slim fast, raw food diets, vegan diets, and well, I think you get the idea. I just can't find it in me to ever stay on any plan long enough to see consistent results. I'm a broken man...

Okay, enough sob stories. I'm here to try to get a fresh start. Here's what's up: I'm planning on adopting a plant based diet (since reading "The China Study"), cutting my calories to 2000 a day, which is my idea of slow and steady (according to my fit day account, I can actually eat up to 2900 calories and still lose weight), and finally find a new place for all those coats on the treadmill. I've set my goal weight at 210 pounds, and I'd like to get there in a year (that's not too ambitious is it?).

Anyway, sorry for the long introduction, and thanks for listening.

mecompco 01-19-2011 09:02 PM

Welcome to FitDay.

Don't despair--what you want to accomplish can be done, and you're in the right place to do it.

My story is very similar to yours, though I left 350 way behind before I decided to do something about it (this time).

I see you've figured out your calorie burn--just stay under that and you'll lose weight. Personally, I like to run a bigger deficeit but you've got to decide what you can live with. This HAS to be a lifestyle change, not a "diet".

Please, read through the subforums--lots of great advice. Also, please consider joining us in the 100+ to Lose thread in the Diet Tips forum--everyone there knows what you're going through. And don't hesitate to ask if you have questions or need advice.

Regards,
Michael

rpmcduff 01-20-2011 02:41 AM

Welcome! I just wanted to agree with Michael about this needing to be a lifestyle change instead of just another diet plan. Make healthy changes that you can sustain and at a pace that you are comfortable with. Some people can just jump in with both feet and be fine but I believe most of us need to make the changes more slowly for long term success. Good luck.

VirusInside 01-20-2011 05:30 AM

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I definitely agree about needing a lifestyle change. I really do want to become a vegetarian, or at least a "flexetarian." I think I'd do best to start cutting out the most unhealthy animal products first, and gradually adjusting my diet. Going cold turkey doesn't usually give me good results. I really feel like I'm off to a great start. I plan on becoming a regular around here. I just hope I can keep my word.

Thanks again guys.