FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   Excited! (slightly long you've been warned) (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/3052-excited-slightly-long-youve-been-warned.html)

Alicia06 01-18-2011 04:14 PM

Excited! (slightly long you've been warned)

Good evening everyone. I hope your programs are going well and your happy with your acheivements no matter how small they may be.

So I have been watching the Biggest loser for the past 4 seasons plus the current one running. I remember last season I said to myself " I should really get serious about weight loss and start being more active" but week after week I wouldn't and Id just sit around watching biggest loser eating whatever at oh 8pm until 9 when the show was over then go to bed (talk about what not to do right!)

Well something clicked this new year and it really wasn't one of my new year resolutions to lose weight and be healthy it was actually to not fight and be more open with my husband but this was just something that was a long time coming. My sister in law has had a great success with this no sweets no soda diet and I figured that would be the perfect jump start to a new me.

So the very last weekend I actually joined up here on the 8th and that was the last Dr Pepper and last Creamy, candy bar I ate was that day and honestly so far I dont miss it. (all that can change of course but being hopeful here)

I let it be known at work that I was doing this so I could get some support at work as well as at home and on here. I figured the more support I have the better I will do this time. In the past I've always went about losing weight the wrong way and it never worked. Heck in High School I was on the Ballroom Team for all three years and I worked at Chuck E Cheeses and so I was always moving! But....I wasn't eating properly, had I been I may have lost weight back then rather than just staying at a steady weight...*sigh*

However, the past is the past and we can only learn from it and its better to learn than to dwell!

So anyway not only have I cut out the sweets and soda but I've been doing the walk a mile with Leslie Sansone Monday - Friday (friday i had to do it in front of my husband which for me was kind of nerve wrecking...who wants to see a big girl moving around like that..ugh)

So I've deemed Monday's my weigh in days. I weigh in in the early evening before I eat dinner. Well for my first week I've lost 3 pounds! OMG I was stoked let me tell you. I was so happy I decided to try the 2 mile walk and I got through it but when it was over is when I realized i should have done that BEFORE dinner......ya felt dizzy and felt like throwing up......So tonight of course i took it easy went back to the 1 mile and tomorrow i'll do the 2 mile again but before dinner.

I'm just praying that with all the support i'm getting .... home, Family, Friends, co-workers, and online that this program I will be able to stick to it and actually lose the weight i want to and to be able to keep it off rather than packing it back on as I've seen so many do.

But I'm ready for the change and all I can do is not dwell as to how much i must lose in total but to take it one day at a time and one week at a time to get me to the goal in a healthy way.

mecompco 01-18-2011 08:42 PM

Alicia, welcome to the FitDay forums!

Isn't it great when that "switch" flips on?! Mine flipped on in May--nine months later I'm well over 100lbs. lighter. If I can do that without all that much difficulty, truth be told, I know you can, too.

Don't hesitate to ask if there is anything we can to do help you on your journey.

Regards,
Michael

PS I'd be thrilled to see my wife doing ANY form of exercise--don't let an audiance dissuade you from your "walk".

bettmrr 01-18-2011 09:15 PM

Nice one Alicia06, and good for you.

Its funny what you said about working out in front of your husband. I used to hate that for exactly the same reason you said and used to use it as excuse not to work out if he was home (we live in a small appartment). However, now I find that when he is around I put in my best performance making every effort to keep good form and give it my all. Funny eh!

nottango 01-18-2011 11:35 PM

Sounds like you're off to a great start! Thanks for posting.

Alicia06 01-19-2011 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by bettmrr (Post 32505)
Nice one Alicia06, and good for you.

Its funny what you said about working out in front of your husband. I used to hate that for exactly the same reason you said and used to use it as excuse not to work out if he was home (we live in a small appartment). However, now I find that when he is around I put in my best performance making every effort to keep good form and give it my all. Funny eh!

Oh that's so funny! I'll get there I'm sure but its always "weird" at first as im so self conscious around him which is another reason i want to be fit so that I can be comfortable in my own body and therefore comfortable around him. :)

01gt4.6 01-19-2011 09:08 AM

welcome to FitDay Alicia! The switch went off for me on April 19th 2009 b/c I had a trip planned for Florida and I was tired of having to wear my shirt on the beach. I started off with a 3 month goal, I stayed commited and blew past it.

Support for me and many others here hasn't been great at times, I guess that's just the way it goes. I noticed that once I started feeling good about myself, others would knock me down about how I looked sick, I should quit losing weight, etc. It's great that you have a strong support group.

As far as feeling funny by working out in front of someone... I know how you feel. There were times when I was doing yoga, yes I said yoga, that was pretty rough. Picture it, fat guy, wearing shorts doing downward dog in the living room (ass way up in the air) and your daughter walks in the front door with her friends. :o It was rough, but I never let it stop me.

good luck and stick to it, you'll be glad you did. Oh don't forget to take before pics, NO MATTER HOW HARD IT MAY BE!

Alicia06 01-19-2011 03:21 PM

Oh Mike thank you so much for that little mental image! I think i was laughing for a good 3 minutes. I think i would have been mortified being on either end of that sinario. I dont expect miricals in my support but i'm happy that I do have some support and I will take whatever I can get but so far i'm my biggest motivator. Even tonight i was telling myself " you did this before you can do it again"

01gt4.6 01-19-2011 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Alicia06 (Post 32662)
so far i'm my biggest motivator. Even tonight i was telling myself "

that's a good thing! As long as that continues, you'll do fine, but nobody can want it for you, more than you want it for you.