Notices

Day #1

Old 01-16-2011, 12:19 PM
FitDay Member

Default Day #1

Im new to this board I am 18 and ive never been able to lose weight im not really sure what kind of diet i need to be on any suggestions?
Old 01-16-2011, 01:06 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by kkgonnabefit
Im new to this board I am 18 and ive never been able to lose weight im not really sure what kind of diet i need to be on any suggestions?
Welcome to the forum.

Losing weight is very simple. You must consume, on average, less calories per day than your body requires to maintain its current weight.

You can also burn more calories with exercise.

The best strategy is to both reduce your caloric intake (eat less) and engage in some form of exercise daily (move more).

So, in a nutshell, eat less and move more.

What you eat isn't so important as the total amount of calories. For best health, there are some guidelines that are a good idea to follow.

Avoid processed foods, simple carbs and foods with "empty calories".

Avoid too much saturated fat.

Eat more fruits and veggies.

Just ask if you have specific questions--we're here to help!

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-19-2011, 12:24 PM
FitDay Member

Default 1st day 60 year old ice dancer

Hey Everyone:

You would think that figure skating 3 days a week would keep me fit....and I mean keeping up with my former Olympics coach, not just fooling around. But it doesn't seem to be enough. I did lose weight when I had the great opportunity to live in Madrid for a year, but lived on the 5th floor, no elevator. Unfortunately now at home in Denver, where there's no stairs in my house.

Any suggestions on kicking my metabolic rate into high gear would be appreciated.

Gracias! Jan
Old 01-20-2011, 03:41 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome Imask8r! As Michael said above it's about how many calories you take in versus how many your body burns. Use the Fitday tools to find your Base Metabolic Rate (BMR) and calculate a weight loss goal. Adding your activities will help you set limits on how many calories you can eat daily. Some find that shifting some of their carbohydrate calories to protein calories helps them lose weight. If your protein calories are less than 30% of your total you may want to try this.

I am also from Denver, Westminster actually. Glad to have another local on the forums.