FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   New Me (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/2850-new-me.html)

SavvyMV 01-04-2011 02:34 AM

New Me

I just tried posting and it didnt work and I'm frustrated, lol. So, long story short, I weigh 270, down from 293 in early 2010, and I'd like to lose ten pounds per month. I plan on using South Beach Diet because it worked before and what I'm calling my Wii Exercise Regimen because I can't afford to go to a gym or take any classes (we're poor and my work is cutting hours, lovely). I started new years day after an awesome new years eve and yesterday my Wii said I lost 3.7 pounds... so yay so far. Any tips on how a poor mother who alternates shifts with her husband to avoid use of a babysitter can lose weight?

mecompco 01-04-2011 02:42 AM

Welcome to the forums--your post worked this time! (For future reference, if you have the post window open too long, it will time out and very likely "eat" your post. I always "copy" a long post in case this happens so you can reopen a new post and "paste" your text in).

I don't follow any specific diet, but if I did, South Beach would probably be my choice--it looks pretty reasonable.

Basically you need to figure out your daily calorie burn and what calorie deficeit you need to maintain to lose weight at your desired rate. This will tell you how many calories you can consume a day.

The Wii is great--I like mine. You can also walk--it's free and great exercise and low impact.

Get your plan into place, stick with it, use FitDay to track everything and you can't fail!

Regards,
Michael

rpmcduff 01-04-2011 03:31 AM

Sounds like you are already on your way. Make sure you don't neglect exercising. If your goal is to do 30 minutes a day and you just can't find 30 minutes then do 10 or 15 minutes until you hit your goal. If you haven't already cut out any alchololic beverages. Congratulations on your success so far and welcome!

SavvyMV 01-04-2011 04:33 AM

Thanks for the welcome. Walking would be hard because I'd have to take my toddler with me. But I will do my best to stick with my regimen and I don't drink more than a few times a year. Plus my husband and I take turns on those days so its even less. Thanks again for the advice and yes, south beach is extremely reasonable and easy after the first two weeks, those two are tough but worth it.

branmuffin36 01-04-2011 04:27 PM

Hi SavvyMV, I can identify with your concerns about not having lots of money for working out, gyms, gear. I am not a veteran (today is Day 4 for my new life plan) but if you have cable with an "On demand" feature, there are FREE exercise classes on there. We have Comcast and it's call Exercise TV on Demand. There are about 20+ to choose from, lots of different styles, from about 8 minutes to over an hour. They change frequently, too. Just one little idea. If you don't, but a friend has it, you could even tape it (if any of us still use VCR's).

rpmcduff 01-05-2011 04:04 AM

Our local library has exercise DVDs you can borrow for free!!!

WeightlossBoo 01-05-2011 04:17 AM

Welcome Savvy. :) There's so many exercises you can do at home without the aid of a gym. Use Google for info, or even YouTube for short videos, visual instructions and tips. And as your child gets older it would be great to take him/her on walks too, doesn't hurt to start good habits young! Good luck on your journey!