FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Newcomers (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/)
-   -   Hello, y'all! (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/newcomers/2638-hello-yall.html)

teguqueen 12-12-2010 04:22 AM

Hello, y'all!

Hi! I'm Deb, I'm from Ohio, and I'm on a mission to clean up my act and get healthy.

Not to sound like I'm bragging or anything, but if there is one thing that I'm good at, I'm good at losing weight. I've lost probably 15 tons in my lifetime.

(too bad that I stink at keeping it off ;) )

I'm going for a try at it again. I have approx 140 lbs to lose to approximate normal, and I'm breaking it down into 35 lb segments. Maybe if I forget about that big whopping pile of 140 lbs and nibble away at the 35 lb chunks I won't get disgusted and give up like I've done in the past.

Holler at me if you have any good tips. I'm thinking of trying to incorporate the tofu shirataki noodles into my diet to be able to cut down on the calories. Do they really stink as bad as folks say? And if y'all have any good tips for grab and go work lunches, please tell me. Everything in the machines at work tastes good and has about 1 billion calories.

teguqueen 02-17-2011 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by teguqueen (Post 28193)
Hi! I'm Deb, I'm from Ohio, and I'm on a mission to clean up my act and get healthy.

Not to sound like I'm bragging or anything, but if there is one thing that I'm good at, I'm good at losing weight. I've lost probably 15 tons in my lifetime.

(too bad that I stink at keeping it off ;) )

I'm going for a try at it again. I have approx 140 lbs to lose to approximate normal, and I'm breaking it down into 35 lb segments. Maybe if I forget about that big whopping pile of 140 lbs and nibble away at the 35 lb chunks I won't get disgusted and give up like I've done in the past.

Holler at me if you have any good tips. I'm thinking of trying to incorporate the tofu shirataki noodles into my diet to be able to cut down on the calories. Do they really stink as bad as folks say? And if y'all have any good tips for grab and go work lunches, please tell me. Everything in the machines at work tastes good and has about 1 billion calories.

3 months later, and 22 lbs lighter. It hasn't been easy, but it is better. The clothes are looser. I've changed my original plan--I'm going to take it in smaller goal steps-- I cut this one back to 25lbs, the next one will probably be 25 or less. 35 pounds is .... too daunting for me.

I did manage to find and try shirataki noodles. Good news-- they don't stink if you rinse them well. Bad news-- I thought I was eating an old rubber sheet that someone ran through a paper shredder.

vabeachgirlNYC 02-17-2011 07:42 PM

Yay for you! :D

How did you lose it? Welcome back to the forums! :)

teguqueen 02-17-2011 08:46 PM

Hi!

I quit eating potatoes. Nothing wrong with them, just that I don't want to eat them unless I dump about 800 calories of cheese, butter, sour cream, bacon, or gravy, or all of the above on them. I know my limitations. I switched to baked sweet potatoes, which I will eat with just salt and pepper.

I quit ordering out from Pizza Hut. Nothing wrong with pizza, but a large meat lover's pan pizza a couple of times a week was over the top, and to me any "healthy" or "reasonable" pizza seems more like a ketsup covered scab than food.

I started eating fish again. I found out that you could buy a big sack of individually packaged frozen tilapia filets at Walmart for about 12 bucks, and I do those a few times a week.

I found out that while sausage spaghetti sauce is wonderful, common ordinary sauce is good with some fat free ricotta and that I really don't need 2 cups of pasta to feel full.

I started to use some foods that I don't usually eat--quinoa and bulghur--as side dishes and to keep them to about 1/2 cup. Beats the mess out of rubber shirataki noodles. (I have another name for them, but I can't put it here)

I allow myself 2 "pig out" meals a month. Knowing that I have the safety valve of being able to really have whatever I want to at some point helps me not feel sorry for myself. Since I am not used to eating the volume of food that I once did, my pig outs are pathetic compared to my former "Rambo of the Buffet" glory, but they still feel pretty good to me.

I revised by 35 lb mini goal plan and dropped it to 25 lbs. That is less daunting.

At first, one of my big "reward" goals was to buy new clothes. When I really thought about it, clothes aren't that big a thing for me. But when I hit about 265, I started thinking about horses. I owned one as a kid, I haven't ridden in almost 40 years, and I really loved to ride. It's been a pipedream for me most of my adult life, even when I was at my highest weight of 305 lbs. The weight limit at most riding stables is 250. Right now I am only 13 lbs away from that. So the concrete benefit I'm going to gain from losing weight is going to be to ride again. It's a big deal for me.

That is what I've done differently in a nutshell. I've made it personal. I can't go on a 1200 calorie diet and stick to it. I can keep it around 1400 - 1600 and stick with it all but 2 meals a month. So I'm going to keep doing that. It's what is working for me at this time in my life, and if that changes I'll change what I'm doing too.

Oh, those shirataki noodles? Still have 5 packages left out of a half dozen. My pet possum won't even eat them. Yuck!

rpmcduff 02-18-2011 07:09 AM

Congratulations and Welcome Back! We'll expect to hear more about your success in the future!

nottango 02-18-2011 01:15 PM

Good job! Thanks for taking the time to post. Keep us posted along the way.
I was thinkin about trying those noodles - I think you just saved me some $!:)

teguqueen 02-20-2011 01:34 AM

As of today, I'm 1 lb shy of meeting my first "mini" goal. On Dec 8, I set a goal of a 35 lb wt loss by April 15. I very quickly figured out that big goals don't work for me and revised it to #25. I've lost 24 lbs now.

112 lbs (total) to go, which will put me at a weight that I haven't seen since the begining of the eight grade. Wow, that is a heck of a daunting prospect. My next goal will be to lose 15 lbs in 3 months. That will put me at a weight that will allow me to climb up on a horse again and I'm going to do it. I desperately want that part of "me" back.

Kinda kicking around what my next "reward" is going to be. I'm about 99% decided that it's going to be a female opossum. Yeah, it's gross, but I like the nasty little things. As I've discovered, rewards have to be personal and to heck with what everyone else thinks is a good reward.

If nothing else, my possum Bart will appreciate my efforts. :)

cjohnson728 02-20-2011 03:46 AM

Teguqueen, sounds like you're doing great. You've already figured out the best piece of advice I could give: figure out what works for you and do it; figure out what doesn't work for you and don't do that.

Riding is great for your core and abs, so it would be great for you to get back to that; nothing beats exercise that doesn't seem like exercise because you like it so much.

Thanks for your description of pizza, also...I am no longer craving some ;).

Hope to see some more posts from you and Bart.

teguqueen 02-23-2011 01:52 AM

I've reached my first goal--25lbs, actually 26!

Next goal is another 15lbs. I'm finding that I need the quick gratification that smaller accomplishments bring.

So now I'm shopping for a possum-ess, and she will probably be more of a boon for Bart than she is for me. Next reward is horseback riding!

almeeker 02-23-2011 02:33 AM

Congratulations on your first 26 pounds!!! And good luck on finding a possum-ess. Where does one shop for such a creature? I've seen plenty of them around here, but just the um, flattened variety.

Sorry I didn't catch your post the first time through, Christmas takes most of my strength in December. If you like mini-goals, you might want to join us on the 7-Day motivational thread.