Notices

The start of my Journey

Old 12-02-2010, 06:40 AM
FitDay Member

Talking The start of my Journey

My name is Jenn, I am 5'2 and 206 lbs. I have 2 kids, the youngest of which is 3.

Earlier this year I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrom.. It took me a while to get it in my head this is what I had. I have done a lot reading up on it since. Now that I'm informationally secure, I think it is now time to start the long, and no doubt hard, road to a healthy manageable weight.

I am new to Indianapolis and my husband is in the military. So I get little free time on my own. But, we have recently joined the Y in our area and I am LOVING it. My 29th birthday was on Sunday. I decided that, that would be my stepping stone. I decided that I am going to spend the year leading up to my 30th birthday to get into a healthy more manageable weight range.

My goal is to lose 56lbs in the next year. I personally look at this as a resonable goal. Although, no matter how I look at it, I am still at the foot of an up hill climb.

I am not one to log my food, log my workouts, or even do a daily journal. I FB but I am not doing this so EVERYONE can see me that I know. I am doing this for me.

I worry that I won't be able to continue or I'll give up. I do not want that to happen. I have no friends or family near by that can give me hands on support. I have my husband, but we all know how they can be at times. Not saying he doesn't support my goal, he just says if I am unhappy with things then I must change it myself. This is me helping me....
Old 12-02-2010, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to Fitday JennSturd!

You are sbsolutely right that you need to do this for you. I don't have a husband so I don't know what that means (lol) but I do know that ultimately I only have me, to 100% rely on. You have to want it bad enough to actually do it.

You can keep your food log private, so just be honest with yourself and you can do it.

Good Luck!
Old 12-02-2010, 11:11 AM
FitDay Member

Hello! I want to wish you lots of good luck! 56 pounds is a great goal and I know you can do it!

Originally Posted by SisterJen
Sorry to say, but if you want any sort of lifestyle change to work (and stick) you will have to keep a food and fitness log. You don't have to share it with anyone, but in order to take stock of how many calories are consumed vs burned each day, you have to have a way to accurately do the math.
Sorry, I had to say something about this. Personally, I lost 50 lbs from Sept. to April without ever counting calories or having any sort of fitness log and I kept it off.
I do agree that a log is a great idea and really does help you in keeping yourself on track, but it is possible to do without.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

congrats on taking the first step and welcome aboard! I can understand why your husband says that. I guess it's a guy thing, maybe his way of saying that he's happy with you anyway you are (which is what he's supposed to say, right?) but if YOU aren't happy... then.

I hope you stick around, we are all here for you.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lovedogs4ever
I do agree that a log is a great idea and really does help you in keeping yourself on track, but it is possible to do without.
very possible, if someone can visually do portion control.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:12 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SisterJen
Sorry to say, but if you want any sort of lifestyle change to work (and stick) you will have to keep a food and fitness log. You don't have to share it with anyone, but in order to take stock of how many calories are consumed vs burned each day, you have to have a way to accurately do the math.

If you are like me, and most of the people that I have met who are attempting to loose weight, and keep it off, you have lost track of what an actual "serving" looks like. These days we live in a world where almost everything has been "super sized", and if that is all you have ever known (don't remember if you gave your age, but I am old enough to remember when "big grab" chips first came out, and when soda bottles went from 20oz to 1Ltr). Before the early 80s an average restaurants hamburger meal was about the size of the kids meal at McDonald's today!

While the FitDay counters may be off somewhat, they are still much more accurate than trying to "wing it" when it comes to assessing accurate calorie deficits.

Good luck, and welcome to the program

Welcome aboard
I totally agree with sisterJen. I was always trying to lose weight, but it only started to com off when i began to log ALL my foods and ALL my activities. I was amazed that 'a bite here and there' and finishing food after my kids (i have 3 kids under 6y of age) how all these bites added up. It's better to log it here in fitday, it's password protected and the website has lots of functions, graphs etc. so you can see your progress and more importantly, see where you are making mistakes.
Good luck!