Intro

Old 05-08-2017, 04:00 PM
FitDay Member

Default Intro

Hi everyone,

I'm Louise and I've gained so much weight in the last two years at college (30 lbs). I have about 3 years left and I really want to get down to 125 (currently am 167). My goal is 140 lbs by the end of summer. I've seen a lot of success with my sisters in Weight Watchers, but I can't really afford it... so I'm just trying to be at a deficit of at least 500 calories a day. I'm 5'4" so I am pretty fat.

I decided to start counting calories yesterday... I was only at a deficit of about 300 but I'll get better . For the past few months I've probably been eating at least 2100 calories a day with light exercise (w/TDEE of 1840).

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself!
Old 05-08-2017, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome, Louise!

I'm a big WW fan - I've lost weight on that diet. Calorie counting works (WW count points instead of calories, and has a different structure to the diet.)
Old 05-10-2017, 03:12 AM
FitDay Member

Well, the thing I really love of WW is that veggies and fruits are point-free... they still have calories though.

So w/exercise (5-6 times a week), is it sensible to have a 500 calorie deficit, with minimum consumed calories of 1400? And does having one meal a week where I eat whatever (within reason) defeat the purpose?
Old 05-10-2017, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

It always defeats the purpose for me! I think the reason is that a meal in a restaurant, for example, with a cocktail (two, more likely) and a shared dessert - can end up being very 'pricey.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:16 AM
FitDay Member

So far I've lost 10 lbs. I've been exercising 30 mins - 2 hrs, 6x/week and tracking calories. I'm not tracking how much water I have but whenever I wander into the kitchen, I drink half a glass and I try to avoid getting thirsty.

These past two weeks I'm worried though: by the time I finish dinner I've only had about 1050 calories and I usually eat some yogurt and a banana before bed just to have more calories (I'm not hungry). I've been eating a fairly balanced diet minus vitamins D and E. I get plenty of vitamin D from the sun and I take a supplement for vitamin E when I don't eat enough.

I'm eating lots of veggies and chicken, which is partly why my calorie intake is so low... But does anyone have any advice on what to do? A few months ago, I had grown half an inch (mostly went through puberty 7 years ago, however). I don't want to stunt any remaining growth I may have or slow down my metabolism....
Old 05-28-2017, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

I think you are doing great! If you have any worries, you could ask your doctor (the best source for healthy advice) but I can't imagine your doctor saying anything but 'Congratulations!'

Seriously, you are doing so well. Good work!
Old 05-28-2017, 09:42 PM
FitDay Member

My next physical is in a month and a half, so I'll ask him then. So in your experience, would you keep the bedtime snack (when not hungry) or cut it?

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2017, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

If I'm not hungry, I'm not even tempted to snack (it's not part of the WW program, anyway).

But what if I am? I have said to myself, 'Skip it. You'll be glad you did when you wake up tomorrow and know you didn't give in to an impulse.' BUT: if you can afford the points (calories), there's nothing wrong with just having the snack and counting it.

My favorite - easy to control the portion, easy to count - is hot oatmeal!

It sounds like you can afford the calories and you are losing weight. Find something good that fits your plan and enjoy!
Old 05-31-2017, 10:07 PM
FitDay Member

Oatmeal is great - I also like it mixed with oat and wheat bran to get fiber. I weigh on Fridays, but on a cursory weight the last two nights I haven't lost anything yet this week - haven't gained though!
Old 06-12-2017, 12:46 AM
FitDay Member

Well, I got down to 152 as of Friday. But today I ate a bunch of stuff while volunteering (about 1800 calories between 9am and 5pm) and still should eat something for dinner. And I won't have time to work out today...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service