Notices

New here from Tx

Old 09-13-2016, 03:44 PM
FitDay Member

Default New here from Tx

Hi everyone, I am a newbie here from Tx and I am looking forward to a new lifestyle change. I am doing a lot of research on raw/whole plant food based diet. I am leaning towards the 80/10/10 but again doing much research to do what is right for me. So far I have been adding many fruits and veggies to my daily diet without changing too much yet. There are a few things I will have to change, Soda, Sweet tea, Smoking, junk food, getting up and moving around, and another is the fact that I don't leave the house often enough. I go to the grocery or dr offices. and that is about it. We (my husband and I) moved here to Tx a year and a half ago. I admittedly haven't found any friends or couples for us to hang out or do things with. I have a great friend online that I Skype with each day and a couple of great friends from where I am from in Indiana but alas that doesn't do me much good here in Tx as I am pretty much a homebody. I miss going out with friends or even just hanging out and watching movies or having a great dinner together. My husband and I have dabbled in catering for family and friends, just simple things like graduation parties or Christmas dinner parties. I bring this up because another favorite of ours is inviting friends and or family over for some great dinner entertainment. So food is one things that centers our lives and is comfort to me since well I don't do much else. Now I want to change things up as I am tired of being sick and tired. My lists of diagnosis's goes on like a book with chapters about the illnesses and medications I take to try to reduce symptoms as well as chapters on mental health problems., My goal is to find a way for my body to start healing itself and get off all these meds., Mainly I want to get rid of Freida!!!! Freida is my fibromyalgia, sadly I named it years ago as its easier to look at ppl and say "Frieda is bothering me today" instead of having to explain everything out each day that I am not feeling well. Then another major one is Fred!!! Fred represents my neuropathy in which again I want to start healing and not just taking care of symptoms. Honestly I don't care if I lose weight, my weight doesn't bother me except that i keep getting told if i want to heal i have to lose weight. So that will just be icing on the cake. """"CAKE where????""" LOL oops...
So that is me in a nutshell. Constantly all over the place with my thoughts and words. I haven't many places to express myself except I do love to crochet!!! It is a great past time of mine and now I am learning to dabble in clay and paper quilling. So what does all this have to do here in the Fitday world. Well I cant heal until I really take care of all parts of me and the combo of food, friends/family and crafts all relate to how I might ber able to succeed in this world of change.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome!
Old 09-14-2016, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard. I'm not a doctor (or psychologist) but I'm assuming that some of the issues are intertwined... like not being able to meet new friends and not going out much. It's hard to meet new friends at a doctors office or grocery store. I'm betting you already knew that. I think getting out, being active and social might be a big part in taking care of some of those things.

Is that 80/10/10 mix 80% protein? If so, how are you hitting it with so many fruits and veggies? Why so low on the other two? I hope it's not 80% carbs, especially if you are having neuropathy. How did you come up with that ratio and have you tried a more "balanced" approach?
Old 09-14-2016, 07:52 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks

Thanks Kathy and Mike. Yes Mike the 80/10/10 the goal is to get 80% of your calories from carbohydrates--primarily raw fruit--and 10% each from raw, plant-based protein and fat.
But please remember right now i have added (not taken much away) fruits and veggies and will be talking to my dr tomorrow morning about the approach to take that is right for me. I am wanting to find the right diet for my digestion as some products i do not metabolize well. Also working on adding or taking away meds. hopefully she will have some good news for me. I would love to know what you meant about carbs and neuropathy? *giggles, after all now I will be searching that for the better part of today lol.
As far as a balanced approach I have lost over 60lbs in the past couple of years just by drinking more water and cutting in half anything on my plate. Also I was doing walking a mile or more a day. That has since slowed down quite a bit specially here in Tx as its very hot and humid. So I need to be able to get my body to feel better some to be able to handle temps outside better so i can get moving again. Anyways.... I will go for now i feel as though i am rambling again LOL.
Back Later
B
Old 09-15-2016, 02:48 AM
Super Moderator

I could be wrong, but doesn't neuropathy come from diabetes? Every one I know with diabetes has to watch their carb intake, that's why I was asking. But honestly I don't know THAT much about diabetes. Congrats on the loss of 60 pounds. I was asking about the 80/10/10 because it seems like an extreme ratio, but hey... what ever works for you. We are all different. Are you vegetarian or vegan? I know some of them will hit close to 80% in carbs. Congrats again!

ON EDIT: I would be afraid that with only 10% in protein, you'll be losing muscle as well as fat. But like I said, if it's working, it's working.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:01 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Good point

Actually I am prediabetic my neuropathy is from c-spine issues. Its in my legs and feet and starting in my hands and wrists now. I am learning about vegan and vegetarian so I havent claimed a side yet LOL. but that is why I say whole plant based diet. (fruit, nuts, seeds, veggies, legumes, grains, those types of things.) Just not processed foods. I dont think I will go to either extreme.