Notices

From Tragedy to Triumph

Old 04-03-2016, 02:51 AM
FitDay Member

Post From Tragedy to Triumph

My story is more of a tragedy that I am trying to overcome… not so long ago I was fit, enjoyed exercise, learned to cook and found that eating healthy foods was easier than I had imagined. Luckily for me, I did not have a weight problem growing up and exercise and sports came easy… For my husband and I, activity was always part of our life and our holidays… skiing, biking, hiking kayaking… you name it we did it… Not to say we were ever hard core at any of it, but enjoyed it and it was a balance.

I hit menopause and found the weight starting to creep on, but ignored signs that something was wrong until I had an emergency hysterectomy due to large fibroids causing a rupture… abdominal surgery is not an easy thing to get over but I was up and on my feet the same day… I had the motivation to get better.

On the day of the surgery, my oldest son who was away at school made a call to the police that he was trying to kill himself. He was addicted to prescription drugs and alcohol and had hidden it from us. Thankfully he made the call. For the next 12 months I spent a lot of time and energy going to see him, attending counselling sessions, getting him the proper care he needed and back on track. Grabbing something to eat along the way became the norm….weight crept on.

My husband had a tragic health event that left him unable to walk or continue to work as a physician. My whole life was turned upside down. The weight crept on… Fortunately, after a year and a half of struggling, a surgeon was able to reconstruct my husband’s spinal column and get him back on his feet and give him his life back….

During the recuperation time from my husband’s surgery… we walked a lot… him with a walker, me beside at the ready but boy it felt good! I thought the awful events of the two previous years was over… and we could return to normal… My son was a full year in recovery, my husband up and walking and going back to work….

At three o’clock in the morning a few days after we were home from recuperating at the cottage, there was a knock on the door… the police were there to tell me my youngest son had died in an accident….

Everything I described above, was nothing compared to that news… my whole world stopped turning. I actually did not know how to move forward… I honestly wondered what I had done to deserve all of it….

The weight crept on…

Months have gone by and I have survived because of my Faith. I believe that my son is in a better place, a happy place, a place where he is mountain biking on the most amazing hills… better than the ones he tackled here…and swimming across amazing lakes.. better than the ones we did here…. and I am OK. I will be OK.

So today I find myself with the desire to lose the 50 pounds that were put on by tragic events and I want to live again.. hike again, bike, swim, ski and play again…. The motivation part is on me. With everything that happened, I do not have the financial means to go to a clinic or a retreat to kick start my “recovery”… I won’t say journey, I have learned to loathe that word… used to much from people trying to give me coping advice…

The extra weight is a reminder of the last couple of years and I want to get it off, so the me inside can come out again.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

I am so sorry for your loss. Your words are inspiring. You can achieve your goal despite the tragic events of the past. Our own weight and health are the last things we consider when so much stress engulfs us. You know things can get better, WILL get better...