Community
Notices

support for keto

Old 06-15-2015, 01:33 AM
FitDay Member

Default support for keto

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to introduce myself (apologises to dieticians for the username) Ive had a bad ride with NHS dieticians who have told me they dont know what to suggest for me anymore but have flatly refused to support me with the keto diet. After an emergency op and subsequent stage 3 diagnosis of colon cancer i underwent chemo, my last treatment was 18months ago, however my life has been run since by restroom visits! Ive gained a stupendous amount of weight 17 stone now and it is all affecting me psychologically. I first attempted the keto whilst on chemo but that was so hard due to the steroids!
Im hoping to hear some encouragment for this diet, I seriously started it again a few days ago, and hey........ restroom visits have already become easier dont know what the dietician will say next time im back but honestly im beyond caring as she cant help me, or wont!
Anyways hi everyone, and I would love to hear from anyone with keto experience x
Old 06-15-2015, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

No experience with chemo, but I wish you luck with your quest for support and answers.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:45 PM
FitDay Member

I have dabbled in keto, felt really well, but lost muscle without losing much weight. That being said it was not so much about calories as feeling more energy. It did that and after a 3 week adjustmen period, which included the keto flu and quite a bit of mental decline, I felt great. My husband does low carb and am trying to get back into at least that much, but circumstance has made us fall off the plan over and over. I do believe my mistake was actually not enough protein and too much fat. Life has made changes and I have gained lots, on junk and sitting way too much. Time to get back to something, if not fully keto then at least low carb calorie restricted. I did purchase a keto meter which works great. youtube has lots of good info on keto and fb has great groups out there with lots of info. I will be checking in here to see if I can be of help. Good luck
Old 07-10-2015, 11:16 AM
FitDay Member

Default keto support

Thanks for the replys

Just an update, Ive done nearly 4 weeks now and im feeling good, my sister decided to join me on this diet and we have both had good but rather different results so far.
Since my operation nearly 3 years ago my life revolved around the restroom, im now doing number 2s normally, something i had given up hope of really, the doctors were happy to let me indefinitely take medication which at best helped 30%! Ive got more energy, and less aches in my joints, the only ill effects i had were some shocking migraines for the week to 2 weeks.
My sister has many health problems and takes a lot of medications, she had the opposite problem to myself where she was lucky if she needed a restroom visit once a week! She is now experiencing much more regularity! She is also feeling more energised, however she suffered from insomnia for the first couple of weeks, this is over now and she is feeling like shes getting proper refreshing sleep now, marvellous results health wise for her, she has managed to cut down her pain killers after in excess of 20 years on them!

The scales are showing a weight loss but i have to admit maybe not as much as i had hoped for, however i feel more comfortable and my clothes are fitting better
Old 10-04-2015, 07:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default update?

Hello,

I was excited to see your positive results--do you have an update?
And I wanted to say good for you for taking your weight loss into your own hands.

All the best to you!