recent diagnosis type 2 diabetes >

recent diagnosis type 2 diabetes

Community
Notices

recent diagnosis type 2 diabetes

Old 03-25-2015, 05:21 AM
FitDay Member

Default recent diagnosis type 2 diabetes

After several years of keeping an eye on my blood sugar levels, my doctor finally diagnosed me with type 2 diabetes. She prescribed 500mg metformin 2x/day with food, and so far it seems to be working to keep my BG readings to under 180. Also, I'm counting calories and nutrients, keeping calories to under 2000/day, 1/4 of my plate protien, 1/4 of my plate whole grain or high nutrient starch, and 1/2 my plate veggie or fruit. The metformin has reduced my appetite tremendously, so I'm not having problems with cravings just yet. I know they'll come eventually. I am having trouble staying motivated (and energized) to exercise daily. I was diagnosed on the 19th, and I have exercised 4 times: twice walked 1/2 mile, twice walked 1 mile. At 51 years old, 285 lbs on a 5'6" frame, I really have to push myself. I have probably dropped weight since my diagnosis but trying to stay off the scale as I tend to be a bit OCD about it. I just know my clothes fit a little better already, and I have just a little more energy. My doctor told me that one reason my weight skyrocketed was insulin resistance. She said the medicine, exercise, and good eating would work together and get me losing weight and getting healthy again. I have a lot of hope, but thought it might be nice to join a forum such as this one. Thanks for reading. Suzanne in Wichita, Kansas
Old 03-25-2015, 05:56 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there, Suzanne! Welcome to the boards!

Sounds like you've really taken the bull by the horns. Good for you! You can do this!

There's a weekly motivational/support thread that a lot of us use. A new thread starts every Monday but you don't have to wait until then to jump in . In that thread, we typically outline some of the things we'd like to accomplish during the week (examples: drink more water, walk 3 miles, eat more fiber). Then, we try to check back and update. Some of us update daily. I know for me, it helps with keeping me accountable. There's no requirement, of course -- use the thread in the way that makes sense for YOU.

We also try to support, encourage, cheer for and commiserate with our fellow thread posters. It's a good group and always has room for more.

Here's a link to this week's thread ---> Motivation Thread for week March 23-March 29. I hope you'll join us over there!
Old 03-25-2015, 11:12 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you so much! I'll hop over there and have a look!