Notices

help with low GI foods

Old 01-15-2014, 07:33 AM
FitDay Member

Default help with low GI foods

Hi everyone, this is my first time on a forum so please bear with with me. I am very confused at the moment because I've just had tests for glucose intolerance (6.8 was my last result).
I have been reading about low GI foods and how these may help, but it seems so much to take in.
I have had to acknowledge to myself that I'm obese and very unhealthy. This has probably been very obvious to everyone else, but I have pretended that I wasn't too bad and that I would start doing something the next week, but of course there were always excuses as to why I couldn't start- but guess what, it has finally caught up with me!
I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas or tips about how to lose weight using low GI foods. Many thanks
Old 01-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

Watching the glycemic index of foods is a much more flexible diet than a lot of other diets. There are a lot of foods that you can eat! If you doctor gave you any information about glycemic index or referred you to a dietician, then you have lots to choose from when it comes to meal plans.

Even thin people do well when they watch the glycemic index of foods, so it's not just a weight-control tool.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:42 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you so much for your reply Kathy. I haven't had any information from my doctor or been referred to a dietitian as yet. I have ordered 3 books from Amazon about Gi foods, so hopefully will get to know more as I read them.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:52 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Smile I'm going through the same thing

[QUOTE=hanora55;104994]Thank you so much for your reply Kathy. I haven't had any information from my doctor or been referred to a dietitian as yet. I have ordered 3 books from Amazon about Gi foods, so hopefully will get to know more as I read

I have just read , The Low carb solution by John McLain . He goes into the subject of the Glycemic Index . I too am facing the fact that my blood sugar is out of control so am following a Low Carb diet and cutting out wheat . We have been indoctrinated into counting calories and while I watch mine I find many foods which are satisfying on the lower level of the Glycemic Index . I am not worrying too much whether I eat a few too many calories as long as the choices I make are healthy. Fruit , particularly berries , vegetables and protein are all available to you. The book stresses the need not to cause a sugar rush so no sugar , honey etc but fruit and stevia are ok. Its a long journey of discovery .